16-17 St Ebbe's st
The Centre for Effective Altruism is looking for a Researcher to help develop the intellectual foundations of effective altruism.
In collaboration with Assoc Prof. Will MacAskill, the primary focus will be to provide senior research support for longtermism research in the field of economics. This includes setting the research agenda for global priorities in the field of economics, analysing the best strategies to draw more researchers into the community, and helping to develop organizational strategy.
The successful candidate’s main responsibilities will include:
- Providing guidance on the global priorities research agenda in economics,
- Conducting individual research projects, in collaboration with partner institutions,
- Shaping and advancing our research strategy,
- Managing the design and execution of literature reviews,
- High-level research support as requested by Assoc. Prof. Will MacAskill,
- Lending your expertise to the discussion of ideas and arguments,
- Advising on choice of topic and argument,
- Providing feedback on written work,
- Collating and processing feedback from external readers.
About The Centre for Effective Altruism
The Centre for Effective Altruism acts as a springboard for the effective altruism movement. It aims to: promote and strengthen effective altruism as an idea and a community, help figure out how best to advance the well-being of all and inspire people to take action based on that knowledge. The Executive Office within CEA works in close collaboration with the Global Priorities Institute to encourage more research into global priorities.
Why is this role important?
This role provides an excellent opportunity to help improve the intellectual work being done by a leader in the effective altruism community—work that has the potential for very high impact. Additionally, you will be one of the first economists start building a new, and potentially incredibly impactful global priorities research field.
Who is suited to this role?
This role will suit someone who enjoys and is skilled in conducting research and passionate about the key ideas of effective altruism. You need to be able to demonstrate an advanced understanding of a broad literature and array of different topics, write clearly and succinctly, and be willing to work autonomously. You should have a deep understanding of economics as an academic discipline, and its evolution over the years. You should have an advanced understanding of standard academic referencing and have a good understanding of good style and grammar. You will already have advanced background knowledge in the application of economics to questions in global priorities research, as well as a close familiarity with the organisations involved with this project.
- Advanced academic credentials, with at minimum a bachelor degree in economics,
- At least 2 years of research support experience in a relevant field,
- Strong and demonstrated interest in philosophy,
- Strong analytical skills,
- Strong evidence of communication skills (both written and verbal),
- Robust positive self-motivation,
- Demonstrated commitment to effective altruism,
- Passion for making the world a better place,
- Commitment to finding the most effective ways to do good.
The Centre for Effective Altruism are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. We are happy to make any reasonable accommodations necessary to welcome all to our workplace. Please contact us to discuss adjustments to the application process.
Salary and location
The salary for this position is £42,000 per annum (pro rata), for an 8 months contract. The applicant will be based in the Centre for Effective Altruism's Oxford Offices.
The deadline for applications is the 31st August 2018.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
In order to apply for this position you should send a CV and cover letter to Ms. Emma Gray at email@example.com. The deadline for applications is 31st of August 2018.