The Development Assistant serves as the backbone of The Miami Foundation’s Development team. The Development Assistant’s administrative oversight, research reports and coordination of programs and events are integral to the department’s ability to build and steward relationships with our donors and maintain an exceptional level of customer service.
Reports to the Senior Director of Development. Significant interaction with the Vice President for Strategy and Engagement.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create and manage master Development department calendar and oversee the tracking of department goals.
- Assist the department with the following duties: scheduling meetings, calendar and contacts maintenance, meeting preparation and follow-up, and mail distribution.
- Regularly manage updates to constituent database and constant contact mailing lists to ensure all contacts are properly moved through the development process and coded appropriately.
- Assist with the onboarding of new fundholders by providing them with needed resources to manage their Fund, such as helping with online registration.
- Serve as Fund representative for a small portfolio of fundholder relationships as needed.
- Manage gift acknowledgement process and produce donor tax receipts on a weekly basis.
- Work closely with the Finance department on incoming gift processes to ensure accuracy.
- Assist with questions regarding online Fund accounts and draft grant recommendations for fundholders when needed.
- Assist with special events planning, preparation and execution.
- Coordinate, attend and draft minutes and prepare other documents for department related meetings.
- Achieve proficiency in Blackbaud and Fusion Labs software for development functions.
- Write, proofread, edit and send correspondence, including but not limited to: Fund agreements, addenda, donor letters and gift proposals.
- Research potential prospects and add information to constituent database, e.g. meeting notes.
- Monitor local media outlets (Miami Herald, South Florida Business Journal, Daily Business Review, Miami New Times etc.) for news and information on philanthropic trends, Foundation fundholders and prospects to identify opportunities for engagement with the Foundation.
- Provide backup phone coverage for Receptionist.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience, Abilities & Skills
- BA/BS or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of professional experience in an area related to office administrative support, development, project management or event coordination. Prior nonprofit work experience a plus.
- Exceptional skills in the areas of organization, attention to detail, time management, ability to manage multiple tasks, define and set priorities and problem solve.
- Excellent customer service abilities.
- Excellent reading, writing and grammar skills. Both written and verbal.
- Excellent skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, working with databases and internet research; knowledge of Blackbaud Suite: Raiser’s Edge, Financial Edge and NetCommunity a plus.
- Demonstrated team player with strong collaboration abilities.
- Ability to take initiative with projects to work both independently.
- Knowledge of telephone and electronic mail protocol.
- Flexibility in schedule required.
This list of essential responsibilities and requirements is not intended to be exhaustive. The Miami Foundation reserves the right to revise this job description as needed to comply with actual job requirements.