Location: Remote working, U.S. East Coast preferred, other locations considered.
Responsible to: Director of Communications and International Affairs
Salary: Commensurate with experience. GFW offers pension/retirement, health and other benefits commensurate with similar level GFW employees in the country of employment.
Working Hours: GFW supports flexible working; hours may vary according to operational and personal needs. GFW works across different time zones and weekend work may be required on occasion. The post holder will be required to undertake periodic domestic and international travel. No overtime is payable.
Holiday: Paid holiday/vacation commensurate with other, similar-level GFW employees in the country of employment.
Equal opportunities: GFW is an equal opportunities employer. We hire and promote qualified professionals without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We believe that our mission is best advanced when welcoming the contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees of GFW and our partners, vendors, suppliers and contractors.
Global Fishing Watch (GFW) is an international, non-profit organization committed to advancing ocean governance through increased transparency. We create and publicly share knowledge about human activity at sea to enable fair and sustainable use of our ocean. Founded in 2015 through a collaboration between Oceana, SkyTruth, and Google, GFW became an independent non-profit organization in June 2017. Using cutting-edge technology, we create and publicly share map visualizations, data and analysis tools to enable scientific research and drive a transformation in how we manage our ocean. Our major focus is on commercial fishing because it is the most widespread human activity at sea, the most impactful on ocean health, and the most crucial for global livelihoods and food security. By 2030, we aim to monitor and visualize the impact of ocean-going vessels, both industrial and small-scale, that are responsible for the vast majority of the global seafood catch. We believe human activity at sea should be common knowledge in order to safeguard the global ocean commons for the common good of all.
Under the supervision of the director of communications and international affairs, the digital content manager is responsible for setting goals and driving strategies to build GFW’s online presence, develop compelling content and journeys, and grow and engage target audiences. The successful candidate will manage GFW’s website - globalfishingwatch.org and social media channels, and create content with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders. The digital content manager will be responsible for cross-organizational collaboration, strategy and planning for timely, impactful and effective digital delivery.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and drive the delivery of digital and content strategies in line with GFW’s global communications plan, and to support GFW’s programs and deliver the organization’s mission
- Develop and deliver a roadmap for the ongoing maintenance and improvement of the GFW website (WordPress) and other digital products to best support the organization’s goals
- Lead the design and delivery of successful digital marketing and engagement, and social media channel strategies
- Lead, guide and support strategies and processes to create digital content, including copy, graphics and multimedia assets, and oversight of GFW’s data visualization guidelines
- Play a leadership role, ensuring the organization is making the best use of new and tried-and-tested digital and creative approaches in its program work, bringing in additional expertise where needed
- Understand and define GFW’s digital audiences, prioritize and steward them, and promote evidence-based approaches to engaging them effectively
- Protect the organization’s brand and manage legal and security risk by developing – or supporting to develop – organizational policies and guidelines on digital, social media, supporter data and creative content in line with organizational values
Management, planning and delivery:
- Manage GFW’s website to meet organizational objectives, working with external agency/contractors as needed, including: leading on ensuring good user experience, SEO and governance of multilingual and international content; briefing and managing fixes and improvement sprints; overseeing secure and stable hosting; and engaging with staff across the organization to develop digital content
- Create and maintain website content ensuring alignment with GFW’s brand and editorial guidelines, guide and support development on multilingual web pages and content as needed, and train users of the GFW content management system (CMS)
- Support GFW’s product team in developing and maintaining the online map and data help hub, hosted on the GFW website
- Maintain GFW’s social media channels and Hootsuite account, including producing and posting effective, on-brand content working with colleagues, partners and agencies as appropriate, and manage social media ads
- Conceptualize and develop, with colleagues and external contractors, multimedia assets to support website, social media and communications strategies, and to showcase our map, datasets and flagship research papers
- Maintain Google Analytics for the GFW website and generate regular analytical performance reports for website and social media accounts. Disseminate relevant information within GFW and use this information to inform the development of the website and social media accounts
- Ensure overall brand compliance and consistency across all GFW’s social media presences
- Oversee agency work on digital marketing, including SEO optimization, Google Ads, social media and paid advertising
- Manage, develop and update GFW’s digital asset management system (DAM) and train users as needed
- Manage GFW’s email newsletters, managing the Mailchimp account and creating and publishing newsletters, reporting on reach and impact, and making improvements as needed
- Set digital and multimedia KPIs and ensure regular reporting to key stakeholders, lead on proactive activity to ensure KPIs remain on track, ensure effective monitoring and evaluation of all digital activities
Skills, Knowledge And Abilities
- University degree or equivalent experience, preferably in a communications, marketing, creative or related discipline
- Strong experience creating a compelling vision for digital content and content innovation, communicating it to GFW stakeholders at all levels and motivating people to the vision for delivery
- Substantial experience (minimum 5 years) in developing digital communications and managing websites and web content, including briefing and managing web developers/agencies
- Substantial web editing skills including experience using a CMS (GFW uses WordPress)
- Substantial experience with social media management, ads and monitoring tools, such as Hootsuite
- High-level understanding of user experience, principles of good content design, along with SEO and optimizing content for organic search
- Understanding and working knowledge of Google Analytics, metrics and evaluation of online activities
- High-level understanding of storytelling through video, illustration and longform content
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to set priorities, manage work plans and evaluate progress of complex projects
- Able to thrive under pressure, working in a fast paced, close knit team environment, making quick decisions and having multiple projects and demands on their time
- Sound judgement and experience in managing crisis communications on digital channels and making the most of reactive moments
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong project management or organizational skills
- Problem-solving approach, good at taking initiative and good team player
- Native or proficient in English language
- Basic knowledge of HTML, video editing software (e.g. iMovies) or image-manipulation software (e.g. Photoshop)
- Track record of using social and digital media to gain coverage and increase news and PR reach
- Awareness of and/or connections with bloggers, social media influencers and/or creatives working on Global Fishing Watch’s issues
- Knowledge of digital marketing and advertising tools and techniques, including Google Adwords
- Sound knowledge of applying industry standards for readability and content design to digital content experience of producing, and of agreeing content plans or outlines with a wide range of internal stakeholders
- Knowledge of environmental, sustainable development and marine issues
- Proficiency in another language
- Previous experience working remotely or in a globally distributed team