South Bronx United Inc. (SBU) is a sports-based youth development organization that uses soccer as a tool for social change. Its mission is to prepare youth to succeed in high school, college, careers, their community and beyond. SBU serves more than 1,300 boys and girls annually through programming on the field and in the classroom, including academic enrichment and tutoring, college prep, mentoring, leadership development, health and wellness, immigration legal services, and other individual and family supports. The majority of youth served are from immigrant families and many were born outside of the country. While the South Bronx has the nation’s highest poverty rate and low educational outcomes, SBU makes a significant difference in the lives of its youth. In the last five years, 100 percent of youth in the organization’s core program, the SBU Academy, have graduated high school, 92 percent have graduated in four years, and 94 percent have gone on to attend college.
South Bronx United seeks a Development Manager to work collaboratively with the Executive Director and the development team as well as program staff to increase funding for the organization in order to help SBU sustain and expand its impact.
The role of the Development Manager oversees South Bronx United’s fundraising operations—including database management, preparation and coordination of donor communications and solicitations, gift processing, grant writing support, and prospect research—in addition to organizing special events, including a major annual benefit. Core responsibilities for the Development Manager position include the following:
1. Plan and implement design all fundraising activities.
2. Work with the Executive Director to produce high quality grant proposals that result in awards from foundations and corporations for the organization’s programs and initiatives.
3. Manage and coordinate fundraising events including the Annual Benefit and the Charity Cup
4. Manage the donor database and donor communications.
5. Prospect for new funding opportunities that may good fits for supporting SBU's programs.
6. Manage development staff, including the Development Coordinator and development and special event interns.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
A strong candidate should meet the following requirements:
• MSW or BSW with at least two years of experience in youth development is strongly preferred
• Sports-based youth development, youth services, or case management experience
• Experience working closely with youth and families
• Effective in multi-cultural and cross-cultural settings and understanding of individuals of all backgrounds
• Interest in addressing immigration issues with youth and families
• Strong team and communication skills
• Strong interpersonal, mediation, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment, juggling multiple responsibilities within a young, developing nonprofit organization
• Flexible and adaptable to work in a variety of settings
• Strong administrative and computer skills
• Familiarity with the South Bronx community or other neighboring communities is preferred
• Spanish speaking strongly preferred. French speaking is a plus
Full-time, with occasional nights and weekends for various events
Full-time, Competitive Salary (base of $60,000, increases commensurate with experience)
Full health benefits, with dental and vision options
Commuter Benefits, Health FSA options, 401k options
26 PTO days annually
Additional benefits through Insperity PEO
Send a cover letter and resume with salary requirements to info (at) southbronxunited.org
South Bronx United Inc. (SBU) is a sports-based youth development organization that uses soccer as a tool for social change. Its mission is to prepare youth to succeed in high school, college, careers, their community and beyond. SBU serves…