2401 Liberty Heights Avenue
The Vice President is responsible for managing data, finances, and all accounting functions for a rapidly growing nonprofit organization. Reporting to the CEO and serving as a member of our Thread Executive Team, the VP will manage a department of four people and grow the team as needed.
The Vice President will provide critical guidance and oversight on scaling Thread, ensuring we are well prepared to serve more individuals in our community over the next several years. This preparation will include leading our team to strategically innovate and build upon our current organizational processes and systems, as well as managing projects across departments. Balancing efficiency, risk management, effectiveness, and quality, the VP will track and be responsible for presenting all Thread outcomes to a variety of key stakeholders, including our Board of Directors.
The Vice President’s goal is to implement Thread’s strategic plan and mission by ensuring the entire team is fiscally responsible and effective at executing the strategy of the organization with a mind-set and a bias towards action. The VP must complement the CEO’s experience, style, knowledge base and have experience operating and managing the finances for a growing non-profit. The VP must be able to coach others to work through organizational business processes, supporting them in completing their work effectively and in congruence with our Thread values. This VP is accountable for the administrative, financial, data and risk management operations of Thread to include the development of a financial and operational strategy, metrics tied to that strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve Thread’s assets and report accurate financial results. This VP is also accountable for managing all of the data that Thread gathers about its community and for providing important insights from this data about how to best serve the Thread community and grow the organization responsibly. This VP will be the lead for organizing, developing and coordinating high-quality Board of Director and Executive Team meeting narratives and presentations.
Financial Management, Oversight, Planning, and Analysis
- Monitor cash balances, cash forecasts, and capital requests
- Create the annual expense and revenue budget and forecasts in collaboration with the CEO, the Board Treasurer, and the Board Finance Committee
- Prepare budget versus actual reports, including planned revenue vs. commitments and planned vs. actual spending
- Prepare internal and external financial reports, Board of Director materials, monthly financial analysis materials
- Assist CEO in formulating Thread’s future direction, budgets, long-term strategic plans, and resource allocation processes
- Manage the implementation of new tools to replace existing systems as needed and maintain current systems of Quickbooks, Salesforce, Paypal, and ADP
- Manage capital requests
- Develop performance measures that support the organization’s strategic direction
- Personally review and approve all financial filings
- Oversee the annual audit by independent auditing firm
- Manage finance / bookkeeping staff and volunteers, who will handle day-to-day such as AR, AP, deposits, reimbursements, credit card expenses, payroll, etc.
Data and Technology
- Manage a three person data team responsible for all metrics and scorecards
- Understand and act upon best practices re: data collection from a systems and business process perspective, as well as how to well incorporate data into day-to-day functions so that it drives actions and decisions
- Evaluate effectiveness of all of organization’s technology on an ongoing basis; identify, find and manage solutions for the organization’s ongoing technology needs i.e. equipment maintenance, file back-up, security, etc.
- Understand and mitigate key elements of the organization’s risk profile
- Monitor any legal issues involving the organization, and legal issues affecting the industry
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems
- Maintain appropriate insurance coverage
- Ensure that the organization complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Ensure that record keeping meets the requirements of auditors and government agencies
- Report risk issues to the audit committee of the Board of Directors
- Maintain relations with external auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations
Operations and Planning
- Act as our chief process and operations manager, steering the team toward achieving our strategic priorities as detailed in our Strategic Plan
- Develop and implement a yearly operational plan based on the strategic plan, with input from the CEO, the Executive Team and the Board of Directors that addresses yearly budget, staffing, communications and the operational optimization of programs
- Identify opportunities to leverage outside vendors in administrative roles, both to minimize resource expenditure and harness expertise
- CPA background required
- 15+ years experience in financial analysis either from CFO roles elsewhere, consulting, accounting, investment banking, or similar field
- Proven track record of managing finances and operations in a rapid-growth, changing environment
- Salesforce experience strongly preferred
- Excellent analytical skills, able to think critically at an abstract level, and decompose problems clearly
- Ability to meet firm deadlines on a consistent basis
- Excellent presentation skills with an exceptional ability to use data to tell a compelling, accurate and cohesive story through the creation of eye-catching presentations and visuals
- Ability to thoughtfully tailor presentations for a wide audience of key stakeholders including both internal and external audiences
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to train, teach, influence, inspire people at all levels to do what it takes to grow an organization thoughtfully and effectively
- Extremely organized work habits
- Ability to think and plan strategically and tactically in order to move organization forward in meeting strategic goals
- Experience with non-profit accounting and financial management, including running an audit
- Data management, data structure and data analysis experience including experience with database design; experience working with SalesForce preferred
- Adaptable and Flexible
- Deeply passionate about our mission, and the power of financial capability and mentorship to build a better future
More About Thread
Thread engages underperforming high school students confronting significant barriers outside of the classroom by providing each one with a family of committed volunteers and increased access to community resources. We foster students’ academic advancement and personal growth into self-motivated, resilient, and responsible citizens.
Studies have shown that the defining difference between Rust Belt cities that struggled and those that were hotspots of rejuvenation was the structure of social networks. The Thread Community Model brings together a broad cross-section of our city by forming authentic, mutual, and enduring relationships and in turn provides a vehicle for sustained change. Thread believes that the power of relationships—the dynamic web of interconnectedness created when futures are woven together—can end the poverty of isolation and allow both youth and Baltimore to realize their full potential.
Thread is weaving a new social fabric where everyone thrives and which is expanding to connect with even more students, volunteers, and collaborators. Thread currently serves 303 students and alumni with the support of over 800 volunteers and over 175 collaborators. We plan to continue to increase our annual and total enrollments until we meet our long-term goal of engaging 300 new students each year (5% of every high school freshman class across Baltimore City). This expansion and evolution requires that Thread be nimble and innovative, and leverage identified opportunities in a way that is congruent with our values and core competencies.
Team members at Thread are hard- and smart-working, collaborative, curious, passionate, gritty, strategic and resilient. We meet people where they are. We go all in with care, compassion, and empathy. We believe small acts make a big difference. We trust each other to be sincere, reliable and competent. The outcomes Thread has achieved are exemplary. However, the road to excellence is peppered with iterative learning. We make mistakes often and fail frequently, but we learn from our mistakes and continue to tenaciously try and try again. We are about building communities of responsibility and have high expectations of students, volunteers, collaborators, and staff. We believe that each human being has a purpose in life and have found that individuals living on purpose have discovered the intersection of their skills, passion, and what the world needs. The journey to find this intersection, one’s dot, is often simultaneously exhilarating and difficult. Thread creates a safe and challenging space for all individuals in our community—students, volunteers, collaborators, and staff— to find their dot through deep reflection, honest feedback, and in-depth coaching.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please follow this link to apply! Due to the volume of inquiries, we will not be able to respond to all applicants.
- 20 days per annum of paid time off
- 12 holidays
- 100% of employee-only coverage of health, dental, and vision insurance