Public Citizen is a national, non-partisan, public interest group with more than 500,000 members and supporters. We conduct public education campaigns and advocate before Congress and administrative agencies on issues including money in politics, open government, corporate accountability, financial regulation, consumer protection, access to justice, tax policy, workplace safety, and healthcare.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION: With the coronavirus pandemic and current economic downturn, proper oversight of the huge amount of taxpayer money heading out the door to corporations is essential to ensure that the bailout is not only impactful for regular Americans, but also free from corruption. We must be vigilant to make sure that aid goes to those who truly need it rather than to bad corporate actors, politicians or their affiliated allies. Watchdogging the likely bad behavior around the bailout is essential to ensure that funds are not wasted, mismanaged or used for corrupting political purposes.
The Corporate Accountability Associate will work with Public Citizen’s Executive Vice President, Deputy Director of Congress Watch, and research team on investigative research projects dealing with the spending of funds in the COVID-19 bailout. They will query databases, assist with media promotion of research, and contribute to time-sensitive reports. The Associate will also work with our Democracy Advocate and other lobbyists to do organizing and create materials to hold the corporations receiving bailout money accountable.
· Investigate policy issues surrounding the bailout including looking at individuals, corporations, conflicts of interest, political fundraising issues, and trade associations by using traditional investigative methods such as database searches, FOIA requests, and interviews.
· Produce written materials in collaboration with our Research Directors, and other team members, including: reports, editorial board memos, op-eds, and blog posts.
· Assist in analyzing and manipulating datasets including political money data, financial data, and economic data.
· Help turn report findings into smaller products for rapid response online and in the press to push corporations that receive bailouts to act in worker and public interest forward ways. This could include monitoring online discussions around the bailout, creating digital content, and assisting with reporter outreach.
· Other duties as assigned.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS: Bachelor’s degree preferred. Outstanding analytical thinking and oral and written communication skills. Strong sense of how to use research to affect public policy debates and how it fits into public interest advocacy campaigns. Organizing, social media skills and corporate pressure campaign experience is a plus. Creative and collaborative spirit. High energy, self-starter, enthusiasm, independent-worker, persistence, and attention to detail needed.
Public Citizen is a national, non-partisan, public interest group with more than 500,000 members and supporters. We conduct public education campaigns and advocate before Congress and administrative agencies on issues including money…
Competitive salary and benefit package. This is a grant contingent one year position. Below is a list of some of our benefits (please note that some benefits have eligibility requirements).
· Great medical and dental coverage, including full coverage for children
· Three weeks paid vacation for new employees, plus five personal days
· 401K plan with a 5% contribution from PC after one year of employment
· 12 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
· Sabbatical after 10 years of employment
· Student loan reimbursement program
Competitive salary and benefit package. This is a grant contingent one year position. Below is a list of some of our benefits (please note that some benefits have eligibility…
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your last name and the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your email and in the filenames of attachments. No phone calls, please.
Public Citizen is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, LGBT candidates are encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com. Please include your last name and the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your…