CAMBA's Ready Readers Literacy Project focuses the development of rich vocabulary and language skills and flexible and fluent comprehension skills in program participants, with an emphasis on K- 2nd grade students, at CAMBA after-school programs in Brooklyn elementary schools. This program is funded by the Brooke Astor Education Fund, managed by the New York Community Trust, and operates as a collaborative with the following CBOs: Chinese American Planning Council, Cypress Hills Community Development Corporation, and Expand ED Schools.
Duties and Responsibilities: The person filling this position is expected, under general supervision, to ensure the smooth running and coordination of all project/program-related staff and services between CAMBA and partnering schools on a day-to-day basis, in order to ensure that all project/program goals, targets, and performance outcomes are met on a monthly/project cycle basis; include the following:
- Lead the implementation of the Ready Readers literacy project approach at CAMBA after-school programs.
- Collaborate with the CAMBA After-School Site Director, Mentor Teacher and key School Administrators to ensure that the Ready Readers literacy project is implemented according to program guidelines.
- Coordinate and facilitate centralized training for all CAMBA Ready Readers staff.
- Facilitate weekly professional development workshops for CAMBA Ready Readers after-school staff onsite at the after-school programs.
- Provide formal and informal observations of staff members leading activities with children and offer professional feedback and support.
- Work one-on-one with staff members who need additional professional support and guidance in regard to infusing literacy learning into program activities.
- Manage the centralized- and program-based data collection for Ready Readers.
- Update and create library of resource materials such as lesson plans, instruction materials and reference guides for program staff.
- Research and develop instructional strategies, materials and lesson plans.
Minimum Education/Experience Required:
- At least five years of teaching experience focused on early childhood literacy learning and elementary education. Master's degree required. (A license is required of these Master's Degrees: Social Work (LMSW or LCSW), Mental Health Counseling, Counseling/Guidance, and Art Therapy).
- Must have experience facilitating professional development for instructional staff.
- Experience in out-of-school time settings preferred.
- Must obtain Dept. of Health, Dept. of Education fingerprint clearance; doctor's note certifying good health; proof of negative results from TB test; Staff Exclusion List (SEL) clearance and State Central Registry (SCR) clearance.
- Ability to maintain State Central Registry (SCR) clearance and fingerprint clearance throughout the duration of employment.
- Ability to adapt to the culture and environment of a public school.
- Position is full-time, year-round, general hours are 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Mondays-Fridays. Some Saturdays are required as per the Ready Readers centralized training calendar.
- May be required to work Holiday Program Days (including Veteran's Day, Mid-Winter Recess days, Spring Recess days, Chancellor's Day).
Minimum Education Required