About Sustain Charlotte
As a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit, our mission is to inspire choices that lead to a healthy, equitable, and vibrant community for generations to come. Founded in 2010, the organization has grown to nearly 400 individual members and 100 corporate partners. We are well poised to expand our high impact community sustainability programs. To propel the organization to the next level, we are looking for an experienced non-profit sector fundraiser to step in to the Director of Development (DOD) position.
The DOD serves as a front-line fundraiser responsible for identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors to advance the mission and strategic goals of Sustain Charlotte (SC). The DOD will create and oversee implementation of annual development plans to generate revenue through: individual/membership giving, special events, grants, and corporate contributions. The target audience includes individuals, businesses, foundations, and government agencies. The DOD will be innovative in their approach while also understanding best practices, reporting and documentation requirements, excel in goal attainment, minimize risk and maximize outcomes.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Executive Director, but success will require being an independent self-starter and working closely with the entire Sustain Charlotte staff, Board of Directors and community volunteers. The position is based at our office in Charlotte’s South End.
Strategy and leadership
· In conjunction with the Executive Director, design a multi-year development strategy with clear objectives and timelines.
· Lead the planning and execution efforts for all contributed revenue activities.
· Engage with the board of directors and individual members to leverage their support and networks for revenue generation.
· Supervise direct reports and provide coaching to achieve goals, maintain high morale, and retention.
· Develop and maintain knowledge of best practices in the cultural and nonprofit sectors as well as the field of philanthropy.
Revenue generation and analysis
· Spearhead all fundraising programs and activities including efforts in donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, recognition, stewardship and retention.
· Develop and own the annual budget for contributed revenue to meet the strategic needs of SC, its programs and initiatives.
· Strengthen our existing corporate partnership program, including an annual menu of sponsorship opportunities and benefits.
· Produce and provide monthly detailed accountability reports about the organization’s fundraising operations and status.
· Evaluate and analyze effectiveness of fundraising strategies for growing institutional funder support.
· Initiate and sustain the cultivation, solicitation and ongoing relationship management of grantmaking organizations.
· Conduct regular meetings to build and maintain relationships with major gift donors and prospects.
· Collaborate with our Events Manager to plan and execute special events to generate revenue, build relationships, raise awareness and make a case for support.
· Collaborate with Marketing and Membership Coordinator to develop stories that help convey the positive impact of our work to inspire more giving.
· Lead data evaluation efforts to create accurate fundraising projections.
· Develop and maintain gift processing, donor relations and prospect management policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy and quality of information and stewardship practices.
· Advance and implement stewardship and engagement strategies for all donors, including review and documentation of donor correspondence.
· Oversee and lead efforts to leverage donor management software to ensure donor and prospect records are well maintained, confidential and accurate.
· Attend internal and external events (both daytime and evening) to network and build Sustain Charlotte’s brand with potential donors and community members.
· Create and sustain relationships with key philanthropic organizations including the Arts and Science Council, Knight Foundation, the Blumenthal Foundation, Foundation For The Carolinas, Wells Fargo, TransitCenter, and others.
· Minimum of a Bachelor's degree with CFRE certification preferred.
· 7 years of development experience preferred with a proven track record in actively securing gifts and grants from individuals, corporations and foundations.
· Exceptional leadership, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
· Strong financial acumen and budgeting experience.
· Ability to meet deadlines in a fast‐paced environment while having the ability to adjust to competing priorities.
· Excellent computer skills and fluency with Google’s application suite.
· Ability to work evenings and weekends and manage a busy schedule.
· Communication and relational skills - skilled speaker and writer who balances listening with talking, connects with a variety of individuals and groups and influences others.
· Constituent focus - strives for excellent constituent satisfaction, goes beyond what is expected and builds value-added relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
· Financial acumen - understands nonprofit financial principles while developing and maintaining budgets and contributing to the organization’s fiscal health.
· Innovation - actively embraces change while challenging the status quo and taking appropriate risks.
· Leadership - inspires and motivates others to support and engage with the organization’s mission.
· Meeting targets - goal oriented with the ability identify, move towards and attain organizational opportunities.
· Presentation skills - clearly demonstrates command of subject matter and communicates effectively and appropriately to engage stakeholders.
· Professional expertise - possesses knowledge of best practices to solve business problems, meet goals and educate staff and board members.
· Strategic direction - actively participates in the development and communication of the organization’s vision and considers long-range goals in daily work and planning.
· Team orientation - focuses on building a collaborative atmosphere while understanding the critical role all team members play and valuing partnership.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified applicants should email a single PDF document containing a cover letter, résumé, writing sample, and contact information for at least 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email subject line should say: DOD Candidate – [YOUR LAST NAME]. In your submission email, please let us know specifically where you heard about our job opportunity (e.g., Sustain Charlotte email, personal referral, a specific job website name, etc.). Due to the volume of interested applicants, we ask that you not telephone our office about the position unless specifically invited to do so. Applications will be reviewed as received. Only candidates invited to the next level will be contacted. Posting will remain open until the ideal candidate is hired.