STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $20.00 - $25.00 P/Hour
SCHEDULE: Monday-Thursday 3:00pm-6:00pm with additional prep, meeting and training time.
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi -site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for Children and Youth, Adults and Families, and Older Adults. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives.
We are seeking a qualified Educational Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development to work in our comprehensive year-round Youth Development Program (afterschool, holiday and summer components). The Educational Specialist is responsible for identifying suitable age-appropriate curricula, helping staff create age and developmentally appropriate activities and lesson plans, and overseeing implementation of program activities. S/he will also have a key role in coaching and developing staff to foster continuous quality improvement (e.g., through data-informed decision-making, effective supervision and professional development), and build productive relationships with school personnel.
- Create and design age-appropriate lesson plans for participants. Collect and review all lesson plans to ensure proper alignment with Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) and Department of Education (DOE) standards.
- Assist participants in actively achieving increased comprehension and retention of specific subject material, and improve academic skills in designated areas.
- Identify participants experiencing difficulty; provide encouragement and alternative explanations of subject material.
- Support staff in execution of lesson plans, academic activities, and give constructive feedback.
- Provide coaching on classroom management and other areas.
- Work with Program Director, Assistant Director and school staff to understand academic expectations of day school, and develop activities, assignments, practice tests and strategies accordingly.
- Create or use existing tool for curriculum to ensure integrity; create academic learning plan for participants.
- Work with participants to develop a high level of motivation in academic areas and positive attitudes toward learning and studying, by acknowledging student efforts, progress and achievements.
- Ensure the health, safety and wellbeing of participants in the program, by providing appropriate supervision at all times.
- Create and maintain a strength-based, youth-focused atmosphere that is consistent and sensitive to the needs of participants with learning, emotional, or behavioral differences.
- Maintain accurate program documentation (attendance, sign in/out forms, behavior reports, incident reports, and accident reports, as appropriate).
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with parents and guardians through regular communication about their child’s strengths and areas of growth.
- Adhere to all Department of Health (DOH), Queens Community House, and DYCD standards, expectations, and regulations.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Work, or related field; Master’s preferred; teaching credentials a plus.
- Minimum of three (3) years' of experience working with youth in a teaching, group work, or session facilitation capacity.
- Knowledge of NYS Common Core Standards; experience in curriculum development and implementation in secondary education.
- Exceptional coaching and problem solving skills that will support, develop and evaluate staff.
- Program background in multiple youth development activities highly desirable; core activities include Leadership, STEM, Careers & Life Planning, Sports & Adventure, Debate, Civic Engagement and Academic Enrichment.
- As a condition of continued employment must be cleared by regulating agencies; NYS DOH Fingerprinting Screening, New York State Clearance Review Background Check, physical examination with updated TB test.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Educational Specialist” to Krystalie Colon at KColon@qchnyc.org.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Minimum Education Required