Position Title: Development Officer
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Development
PURPOSE OF JOB: A significant number of the Community Foundation’s new donor relationships are referred by professional advisors. We have built strong relationships in the local professional advisor community (attorneys, accountants, financial/investment advisors, and life insurance agents) over our 85 year history and seek to increase our capacity to strengthen that network further. The Development Officer is responsible for deepening and broadening the advisor network across its five-county (Onondaga, Madison, Cayuga, Oswego, Cortland) service area, as well as continuing to develop and implement the Community Foundation’s development program.
- Cultivation of Lifetime Giving: Create support and structure for the expansion of the Community Foundation’s lifetime giving services.
- Works in conjunction with the Vice President, Development and other development staff members to formalize and maintain a robust menu of lifetime giving services for donors.
- Assists with donor discernment and values-based discussions from intake through planning meetings, calling on others within the Community Foundation as appropriate.
- Provides organizational support and assists with administrative support of lifetime giving documentation
- Professional Advisor Outreach:
- Coordinate and present on various topics related to the Community Foundation, lifetime giving, and endowment building for professional advisors.
- Develop programming for an array of annual professional advisor presentations and events.
- Conduct a minimum of 6 appointments per week with a goal of expanding the referral network of professional advisors.
- Represent the Community Foundation at various professional associations and events.
- Identify, Cultivate and Solicit Lifetime Giving and New Endowment Fund Prospects:
- Develop annual workplan, target outcomes and budget for the lifetime giving program.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit lifetime giving and current endowment fund prospects through personal meetings, referrals, presentations, phone calls, publications, special events and mailings.
- Provide quality planning services for donors by listening to their needs, creating carefully reviewed plans, seeking internal or external advice from other professionals as needed.
- Support lifetime giving components of regional and affiliate funds.
- Actively assist the Community Foundation in achieving its annual goal for new additions to the Legacy Society.
- General Development: Other duties as assigned to further the Foundation’s mission and goals.
- Providing administrative support to the full development team as availability allows.
- Some work is required beyond traditional work hours for meeting and events.
PREFERRED QUALITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Deep interest in and commitment to the work of the Central New York Community Foundation, with a demonstrated commitment to the Central New York area, its people and their concerns.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in a related field is required; experience could include areas like non-profit organizations, charitable giving, customer service, professional advisor client services, grantmaking, project management, and/or sales development.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience is required. An ongoing commitment to training in both areas of soft skills and technical skills to maintain and improve current skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and coordinate several activities at one time.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, computer literacy, and competency in public speaking.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, time-management, networking and development skills with diverse constituent groups, with a demonstrated attitude toward inclusiveness.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted through October 26, 2018.
Minimum Education Required