Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Senior Front-End Developer, Full-Time, Sarajevo or Tbilisi (remote possible)
OCCRP’s data team is an in-house research and development unit that contributes to award-winning investigations, such as the Global Laundromat, or the Daphne Project. We build data and collaboration platforms that help investigative journalists in Central and Eastern Europe, Africa and Latin America to work together and hold the powerful to account.
Our systems bring together data from hundreds of sources - leaks, public records, open data - into an investigative knowledge graph that tracks hundreds of millions of assets, payments and corporate ties to find evidence of abuses of power, and grand-scale corruption. We have large, complex data, and we need tools to let us answer difficult questions.
Our front-end stack is React, Redux, BlueprintJS and SASS. Backend APIs are developed using Python/Flask, PostgreSQL and ElasticSearch. Our products are based upon, and released as open source software.
The ideal candidate has experience with:
- Exploring user needs and turning them into features
- Complex front-end applications with hundreds of components
- Frameworks such as React, Angular, Ember
- Using cascading styles in a consistent and maintainable way
- JS build toolchains, git version control
- English language at a professional level
- User experience design, usability testing and information architecture
- Interactive data visualisation
- Experience in data journalism or investigative reporting
You might work on:
- A network diagramming tool that helps reporters map out the connections between politicians, businessmen and their offshore corporations.
- A timelining tool that allows users to capture and browse sequences of events in the context of our investigations.
- Interactive dossier pages for persons and companies of interest that combine knowledge from multiple sources and turn it into information-rich briefings.
The team is located in Sarajevo, Bosnia, with a branch in Tbilisi, Georgia. The ideal position is full-time, and permanent. We also encourage international candidates to consider a three- to twelve-month visiting fellowship to work on cutting edge open source code in the public interest. For exceptional candidates, we’re happy to consider a remote arrangement. Candidates are supported with relocation, and visa acquisition.
Salary will be based on experience and location: we’re a non-profit, but we take care of our people. OCCRP believes strongly in building a diverse and professional team. Our work is funded by the Google Digital News Initiative, and the Open Societies Foundations among others.
To apply, please send a letter, resume and, if possible, links to previous work (e.g. GitHub) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information, please visit:
Level of Language Proficiency
Some English required.
Other language skills from our primary regions of interest (Central and Eastern Europe, Russia, The Caucasus, Africa and Latin America) a plus!
Minimum Education Required