47-01 111th Street
Position Title: Exhibits Technician (FT)
Reports to: Director of Exhibit Services
Background: The New York Hall of Science (NYSCI) is New York City’s only hands-on science and technology center, with a mission to bring the excitement and understanding of science to children, families and teachers by galvanizing their curiosity and providing creative, participatory ways to learn. Located in Queens, the most diverse county in the U.S., NYSCI welcomes 500,000 visitors annually.
Departmental Role: The Exhibits Technician provides technical support for all exhibits at NYSCI, with an emphasis on maintaining electronic and computer-based hardware, software, and peripherals.
Principal Responsibilities Include:
• Resolving routine physical and electronic problems in the Museum’s exhibits.
• Daily operations can include startup and/or shutdown of museum exhibits, responding to calls from floor staff, and working on special projects.
• Assisting NYSCI senior and technical staff to improve exhibits and make daily progress on outstanding exhibit and/or facility issues.
• Monitoring exhibit and facility status daily, and logging and reviewing issues in NYSCI’s tracking system.
• Sourcing and purchasing materials and equipment.
• Communicating with fabricators and other partners and vendors as needed to speed resolution of outstanding issues.
• Participate in prototyping new exhibit experiences.
• Write documentation of repairs, changes, and updates to exhibits.
• Regular weekend shifts are a requirement of this position.
• Experience troubleshooting electronic and/or computer hardware in a public setting (museum, school, library, etc.) is required.
• Experience with diagnosing and resolving mechanical and electronic issues is essential. Proficiency with multi-meter, soldering iron, and diagnostic tools is required.
• Experience troubleshooting computer hardware and software problems. Knowledge of audio visual equipment such as video projectors, monitors, touchscreens, digital cameras, trackballs, etc.
Experience with multiple versions of Windows, MacOS, and Linux, including old versions, is necessary.
• Experience with single board computers such as Arduino, Raspberry pi, BeagleBone Black, etc is a plus. Proficiency using environmental sensors and basic coding with single-board computers is desirable.
• Experience building, repairing, refinishing, and being generally handy is desirable.
• Competency with carpentry, finishing, and power tools is desirable.
• The ability to lift 50 pounds is required.
• Strong communication and organization skills.
• BA or Equivalent or a combination of experience and education.
Compensation: Commensurate with education, skills and experience, including an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
Commensurate with education, skills and experience including an excellent NYSCI benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should email resume and cover letter with salary range/requirements to email@example.com. Please include job title in subject line Exhibits Technician.