Details: We are unable to provide a salary but offer a very small remuneration.
We are looking for an experienced, qualified accountant to run the ICCA Consortium’s accounting system and provide guidance and information to other members of staff as necessary. Accounts must be kept in accordance with usual accounting guidelines and the methods for preparation of financial reports must be in compliance with the Swiss GAAP RPC 21 - Etablissement des comptes des organisations sociales d'utilité publique, à but non lucrative (preparation of accounts for non-profit organisations). Experience of accounting in multiple currencies and across several grants is essential.
The ICCA Consortium is an international association dedicated to promoting the appropriate recognition and support to the territories and areas conserved by indigenous peoples and local communities (ICCAs for short) throughout the world. Its Members are indigenous peoples’ organisations and federations, community organisations at various levels, and civil society organisations working closely with them. As a global organisation, the Consortium has developed partnerships with the CBD (Convention on Biological Diversity) Secretariat and various United Nations mechanisms promoting human rights and the rights of indigenous peoples.
The ICCA Consortium is a registered non-profit organisation under articles 60 and following of the Swiss Civil Code.
- keep accurate and complete records of the Consortium accounts, in compliance with accepted policies and procedures; this includes developing and maintaining financial databases to ensure accurate and timely periodic and end-of-year reports;
- compile and analyse financial information (e.g., income and expenses including transfer between different currency accounts) and prepare timely financial statements for budgeting, forecasting and reporting activities;
- make payments and manage various different currency accounts and establish and maintain appropriate accounting control procedures;
- maintain correspondence with Consortium Members around the world and manage the Consortium membership fees system;
- resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities, prepare for financial audit and provide support for the audit process, as needed;
- manage the necessary payments of Swiss AVS and LAA contributions;
- monitor and ensure compliance with any taxation requirements and any other relevant laws and regulations in Switzerland, as well as monitor and ensure compliance with the integrity of financial data.
Ideally, the Accountant will be based in Switzerland. However, someone with relevant experience of the Swiss tax and accounting systems could work from elsewhere in the world. The Accountant will maintain regular communication with the Consortium’s other staff members in Switzerland and around the world, via e mail and/or Skype. This position reports to the Programme Manager and Global Coordinator of the Consortium (both based in Switzerland).
Minimum knowledge and qualification requirements:
Relevant accounting qualification needed to run the accounting system of a medium-sized NGO. Experience working within an NGO environment, preferably in a management role. We do not have office premises, instead all our staff work from home, either here in Switzerland or around the world.
Remuneration and benefits:
All the staff of the ICCA Consortium work as full or semi volunteers. The position of Accountant is offered with a very nominal level of remuneration.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and French
Minimum Education Required