Excel Academy was founded in 2003 with the mission to provide a high-quality education to students in East Boston and Chelsea. Over the years, we have grown from one middle school to a network of four schools with 1,400 students in grades 5 to 12. At Excel Academy Charter Schools, we believe that when a student has the support and tools to pursue a productive post-secondary pathway aligned to their personal identity and values, it can fundamentally change their life trajectory.
We present our students with educational experiences that allow them to grow and discover their best selves so that when they leave our halls, they can successfully navigate all of the post-secondary options available to them. You can read more about the impact of the Excel Academy model here.
At Excel Academy we learn from our students, families, and staff and make improvements. We have increasingly adapted to provide a holistic education that values our community as collaborators in the learning process, social-emotional support, equity for diverse learners, and fosters identity development. We prioritize an approach that is both rigorous and inclusive. Our team of passionate, intelligent, driven, and loving staff are at the core of the work we do.
Growth Happens Here.
About the Role
The Dean of Operations serves as a member of the school’s leadership team and the leader of the school Operations Team, and manages all aspects of school operations. The Dean of Operations works to ensure the quality and efficiency of the school on a day-to-day basis, while also taking on medium-to-long term projects to improve the operations or programs of the school.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all aspects of school operations:
- Lead the school’s Operations Team and directly manage Operations Team members;
- Promote an adult culture in which staff are invested in and uphold school-wide operational systems;
- Ensure accuracy of school data and perform data analysis to support school initiatives;
- Manage facility maintenance and ensure the appearance of the facility reflects the high expectations we hold for students;
- Manage vendor relationships;
- Maintain financial records and quality controls, and support school leaders with budget development;
- Directly manage operational systems such as:
- Staff schedules and space and resource assignments
- School IT infrastructure
- Standardized testing administration (interim assessments, state exams, diagnostic tests)
- School enrollment projections and enrollment records
- School nutrition program
- Student transportation
- Serve as a member of the school’s Leadership Team:
- Plan and implement school initiatives together with school leadership;
- Support development and execution of school-wide goals and priorities;
- Participate in student-facing duties such as arrival, dismissal, and recess
- Serve as a member of the organization-wide Operations Department
- Meaningfully contribute in team professional development
- Strive for continual improvement in school operations; disseminate and adopt best practices whenever possible
- Serve as a productive member of the Excel community.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required;
- A minimum of three years of experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required;
- The ability to speak Spanish preferred, but not required;
- Excellent prioritization and time management skills, and a systematic approach to project management;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience in spreadsheet or database management preferred, but not required;
- Demonstrated success in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth; and
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Excel Academy Charter Schools, including Excel’s values and educational model