7225 North Western Avenue
JOB TITLE: Manager, Marketing & Community Relations
DEPARTMENT: Marketing & Community Relations
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SUPERVISES: Volunteer & Community Engagement Coordinator
EFFECTIVE DATE: 01/01/2018
SUMMARY: The Manager, Marketing & Community Relations is responsible for planning, development and implementation of marketing strategies and communications, public relations, and community relations, both external and internal. The position oversees both the volunteer and humane education programs. A combination of project management, people management and communication skills, this position coordinates at the strategic and tactical levels with all other functions at Tree House Humane Society.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Creates and directs overall marketing, communications and brand strategy to assure the fulfillment of the organization’s mission. Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of all internal and external marketing and communications, publications, media relations, social marketing. Ensures consistent image and position to all constituencies.
· Provides direction, coordination, technical assistance and resource materials to assist all staff with the marketing, communications and positioning of their activities.
· Serves as art director on all marketing and communications efforts.
· Shares writing responsibility with other communications professionals through development of web content, annual report and other projects, as needed.
· Develops, drafts and manages marketing and communications plans for various campaigns.
· Lead the generation of web-based content and social media for Tree House Humane Society and assures activity is updated regularly and leads to measurable action.
· Coordinates media interest in Tree House Humane Society and ensures regular contact with target media. Under the direction of the Executive Director, may act as the organization’s representative with the media and provide appropriate response to media requests.
· Collaborates with all other teams on event and campaign planning and delivery. Leads the planning and delivery of Lights of Love, a community engagement event.
· Oversees the volunteer program and humane education activities. Collaborating with all other teams, ensures community outreach events and activities are responsive to the needs of Tree House Humane Society and our community.
· Hires, supervises, evaluates, directs and guides the performance of the staff in the department. Conduct necessary disciplinary, terminations, and other personnel actions in accordance with personnel policies.
· Responsible for the achievement of department goals and financial objectives. Manages department budget.
· Actively participate in required staff meetings and workshops. Update knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, maintaining networks, participating in professional organizations.
· Protect the organization by keeping information confidential
· Other duties as requested.
· This position has supervisory responsibilities, including a Volunteer & Community Engagement Coordinator and a network of contractors and pro bono graphic designers and writers.
· Must embrace the mission of Tree House Humane Society.
· Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
· Highly collaborative style with the ability to serve as a unifying force.
· A relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to manage by influence.
· Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships.
· A bachelor’s degree in communications, English, journalism or marketing.
· 7 years minimum experience in communications and/or marketing, with experience managing creative teams.
· Knowledge of marketing campaign planning and results reporting.
· Experience with web content management and strategy and social media marketing.
· Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and fundraising database software.
· Valid driver’s license with insurable driving record.
· Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
· Communication - Expresses self--orally and in writing--in manner that is clear, well organized and appropriate to situation. Uses appropriate grammar, punctuation/spelling, and tone. Listens carefully and sincerely considers others' ideas. Maintains confidentiality and expresses good judgment about what to say and when to say it. Keeps others informed.
· Customer Service - Treats customers (internal and external) with respect and courtesy. Shows interest in, anticipates, and responds timely to customer needs and concerns. Goes beyond basic service expectations to help customers. Responds appropriately to and resolves difficult and emotional situations. Seeks ways to improve service delivery.
· Diversity - Enthusiastically works with all employees, regardless of race, gender, culture, and age. Values contributions of people from diverse backgrounds. Demonstrates respect for opinions and ideas of others. Shows awareness of and sensitivity to cultural and individual values.
· Judgment - Gathers data and others' input as appropriate when making decisions and handling diverse situations. Considers cost, organizational resources, and efficiency, as well as both long- and short-term outcomes. Can explain rationale for a decision. Observes safety and security procedures; uses equipment and materials properly. Recognizes when to consult higher level management.
· Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating, and process improvement. Aligns right work with right people. Ensures staff have skills and resources to fulfill their job duties. Informs staff of what is expected of them and holds them accountable. Gives staff ongoing, constructive feedback on their performance and progress in light of expectations and goals. Rewards and recognizes hard work and results. Addresses performance issues promptly and corrects poor performance. Works to create a strong team.
· Problem Solving - Identifies problem in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes factors or causes. Generates and evaluates alternative solutions. Implements plan to solve problem. Assesses effectiveness of intervention.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
· This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and scanners. Employee is regularly required to talk, hear, see, and communicate effectively via computer.
· Occasionally required to stand and walk. Frequently/Continually required to sit.
· Must be able to lift/carry up to 25 lbs.
· Work is completed in an office environment within an animal shelter.
· Occasional work on evenings and weekends as needed
· Tree House Humane Society is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ qualified individuals based on individual merit. Tree House Humane Society does not discriminate against any individual with respect to the terms and conditions of employment based on that individual’s race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, housing status, or any other non-merit factor protected under state, local or federal laws. Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, training, transfer, termination, and opportunities for training. Tree House Humane Society is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We offer a compensation package that includes employer-paid health and generous leave policies. Employees are eligible for group dental and life insurance.
Minimum Education Required