Details: $4,000 Stipend
1800 West Loop South
POSITION TITLE: Project Director
LOCATION: Latin America (Various Locations Available)
TRAVEL: 10-day country survey, 7-day spring training in Houston
DURATION: 11 – 14 weeks
COMPENSATION: Round trip airfare to project location, room and board for the duration of the project, transportation during the program and a $4,000 stipend (+$500 for returning Senior Staff)
Amigos de las Américas (AMIGOS) is a leader in international youth development, creating a world in which young people realize their full potential as leaders and global citizens. We provide extraordinary opportunities for youth to design and lead projects in collaboration with US and Latin American peers and partner organizations across the Americas. Our strong partner network, built over 50 years, enables authentic engagements in communities across the region.
The Project Director has the highest level of responsibility on the Summer Project Staff. He or she is directly accountable to the AMIGOS National Office for all aspects of project management, including partner agency and community relationships, budget administration, and health & safety of other Project Staff members as well as program volunteers. The Project Director works in partnership with the Associate Project Director (APD) and, on some projects, with a Senior Project Supervisor (SPS), directly sharing responsibility for planning, implementing and evaluating the project, managing Project Supervisors and enhancing relationships with partner agencies. The Senior Project Staff has the opportunity to define their working relationship and divide tasks and responsibilities according to skill and interests
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish and English
- Prior experience on AMIGOS Project Staff
- Experience working internationally in the developing world
- Agree to be on-call for 3-4 months of the duration of the summer program
- Completion of all online, webinar, country survey, and in-person trainings
- Excellent group facilitation skills and previous experience working directly with high school youth of diverse backgrounds.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, and willingness to learn customer relationship management software
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains communication with Regional Director, AMIGOS Programs Department, and Summer Project Staff
- Cultivates professional relationships with host country officials at the national and regional levels, and maintains consistent communication with them before, during and after the summer
- Plans and coordinates the project in his/her assigned project area
- Collaborates with the Senior Project Staff to create a successful working relationship, dividing responsibilities to promote effective completion of tasks
- Provides leadership development opportunities and empowers Senior Project Staff to take increasing ownership of the project
- Facilitates the training and leadership development of the Project Supervisors
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Understands & effectively communicates AMIGOS mission, vision, and core program components.
- Complies with all AMIGOS policies and procedures.
- Responds appropriately to crisis situations.
- Exemplifies fiscal responsibility and effective budget management.
- Demonstrates effective teamwork & communication skills.
- Demonstrates responsible decision making and creative and constructive problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrates effective time-management skills and self care.
- Facilitates training methodologies that are appropriate for a diversity of learners and demonstrates confidence speaking in public.
- Uses tact and sensitivity in interactions with all AMIGOS constituents (eg. professionalism, proper attire, culturally sensitive communication with partner agencies)
- Provides effective support and guidance for diverse youth volunteers
- Communicates effectively in English & Spanish
- Implements positive community development strategies with host communities & partner agency representatives.
- Utilizes effective methodologies for evaluating AMIGOS projects and making recommendations for the future
- Successfully mobilizes resources for the project.
- Reports to Regional Director.
- Supervises a team of 4-8 project supervisors.
- in communication as needed with on-call staff.
Round trip airfare to project location, room and board for the duration of the project, transportation during the program and a $4,000 stipend (+$500 for returning Senior Staff)
Level of Language Proficiency
Good working knowledge of Spanish and English (written and spoken).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Review the full job description and requirements at https://amigosinternational.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/2019-Summer-Immersion-Project-Director-Job-Description.pdf
- Fill out an application at https://amigosinternational.org/apply/
- Remember to include a resume, cover letter, and two recommendation letters.