Communities Responding to Extreme Weather (CREW), Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
- Job posted by Better Future Project
Details: This is a salaried, half-time position with a salary range between $15,000-$20,000 based upon experience.
30 Bow Street
Better Future Project (BFP) is looking for an experienced, strategic, and collaborative individual to join an exciting new project within a dynamic team in helping build resilience to climate-induced extreme weather impacts. The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for reaching out to and supporting CREW volunteer teams.
About Better Future Project (BFP)
BFP is a fast-paced start-up organization, building a grassroots movement to shift society beyond coal, oil, and gas. We build the climate movement by empowering volunteers through leadership development programs and coaching, connecting volunteers across networks of constituencies, and activating volunteers on hard-hitting campaigns for climate justice. We are a federally recognized 501(c)(3) non-profit. Please see www.betterfutureproject.org to learn more.
About Communities Responding to Extreme Weather (CREW)
CREW is a new project being incubated by BFP. CREW works to identify, empower, and equip volunteers to help their communities prepare for, respond to, and recover from extreme weather events through education, service, and planning activities. Visit climatecrew.org to learn more.
- At the direction of the Executive Director the incumbent will conduct the following activities:
- Identify and outreach to prospective CREW volunteer teams and partner organizations
- Provide organizing support for activities and events
- Assist with digital communications on behalf of organization
- Produce materials including but not limited to trainings, how-to-guides, fliers, and information packets
- Other duties and responsibilities as requested as the discretion of the E.D.
- Work with E.D., CREW volunteers, and CREW board members to ensure that CREW volunteers have the resources and support they need to be successful.
- Co-lead trainings with volunteers around climate resilience, emergency preparedness, community organizing, and more
- Provide support to volunteers through conversation and structured planning sessions.
- Attend 1-2 CREW team meetings each month to build a stronger connection with volunteers and ensure that communication flows to the CREW teams.
- Creating new materials and resources as needed, including but not limited to digital guides and training materials
- Posting regularly to social media on CREW’s social media accounts
- Updating the website and helping to maintain the CREW digital database
- Sending out quarterly CREW newsletters and targeted e-mails around event promotion, fundraising, and more.
- Represent CREW at public events and conferences on climate impacts and resilience
- Four year degree in a correlating field preferred (or equivalent experience)
- Experience with community organizing, emergency management, climate resilience, volunteer coordination, or event management
- Experience organizing with diverse constituencies preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and capacity to foster teamwork
- A strong ability to critically evaluate opportunities and pitfalls
- An ability to coach and bring out the best work in others
- Strong commitment to address climate change
- High degree of initiative
- Ability to work a flexible schedule as needed
- Ability to speak and write effectively to diverse audiences
Benefits include paid holidays, paid time off policies, vision, and dental. As a small, young organization, Better Future Project does not yet offer health insurance to its employees and hopes to do so in the coming years.
Level of Language Proficiency
English is a must. Additional languages such as Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Creole and so on are desired additional qualifications, but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applications including a resume and cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, and how you learned of the position should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line "CREW." Please include your resume and cover letter as one or two attachments with your last name in the file name(s). Finalist candidates will be required to provide references. No call please.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Better Future Project is an equal opportunity employer and an organization working to actively challenge systems of oppression. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.