We are New York City’s top-performing and fastest growing charter school network, and we are fundamentally reshaping public education. To ensure long-lasting change and a school model that will prepare current and future generations of children from all backgrounds with the subject mastery and skills to succeed in college and life, we have reconceived every aspect of the school design, from elementary to high school. We now need leaders with an entrepreneurial spirit and a high standard of excellence to join our high school community, and propel our efforts to put thousands of New York City kids on a trajectory of educational excellence.
The Success Academy High School of the Liberal Arts is our flagship high school, offering a rigorous and engaging academic experience to scholars prepared by our elementary and middle school programs. We are set apart by our intensive focus on college persistence, ensuring that our mainly minority and low-income students gain not only admission to college but also the skills to flourish in and graduate from college in four years. The Dean of Literature will be a leader in this exciting high school community, who will oversee literature instruction at an exceptionally high level. He or she will play an integral role in the school, working closely with faculty and scholars on a daily basis.
Reporting to the Principal, the Dean of Literature will set the standard for an exceptionally high-level and academically sophisticated approach to literature across 9th through 12th grade. The Dean of Literature will have a major role in shaping the academic culture of the school, and thus candidates should have a deep understanding of literature, as well as extensive experience teaching and leading adults.
● Developing rigorous curriculum that will push scholars toward a deep understanding of the material;
● Driving teacher excellence by teaching faculty to plan and intellectually understand content at a high level, giving feedback, and coaching them on lesson implementation;
● Creating a culture of scholarship and critical thinking that will prepare scholars to excel in college;
● Using student achievement data and student and student work to drive instructional decisions;
● Teaching teachers to build relationships with students and their families and holding these critical constituencies responsible for outstanding academic and cultural outcomes;
● Owning academic achievement in the humanities while partnering with the Deans of History, Mathematics, and Science and other members on the leadership team to run an excellent school;
● Making school management decisions, including scheduling, staff recruitment and hiring and operational excellence.
Experiences and Qualifications
● A demonstrated ability to deliver rigorous, engaging instruction;
● A deep understanding of literature, preferably including an advanced degree;
● A record of success in exceptional student achievement;
● An eagerness to learn and a growth mindset;
● Well-developed emotional intelligence and moral character;
● An ability to frame and clearly communicate a unifying vision for the literature program;
● A high aptitude for problem solving, navigating challenging situations, and forging effective teaching teams;
● Exceptionally high standards for the quality of work and a reflex to improve at every turn.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To join our team, please upload a cover letter and resume that outlines your candidacy. Your cover letter should explain in detail your qualifications for the position. Resumes without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Success Academy Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Success Academy offers a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.