National History Academy Assistant Director
- Job posted by The Journey Through Hallowed Ground Partnership
Full Time Temporary
The Journey Through Hallowed Ground is launching the National History Academy, a new 5-week residential summer experience for 100 highly motivated high school students from June 24 to July 28, 2018.
The National History Academy is recruiting an Assistant Director who is passionate about American history to assist in the management all operational aspects of this program, including overseeing the safety and wellbeing of students, counselors and instructors, and managing the day-to-day operations. This position will provide room & board, a stipend, transportation to and admission at all historic sites visited, and a truly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience American history in the places it actually happened.
The Academy will offer an inspiring and engaging learning environment. Each week, the students will take 3-4 trips to historic sites. On classroom days, Master teachers will guide student as they read primary source documents and engage in rich debate and discussion about significant periods in American history. The Academy will employ a hybrid of formal and informal learning methods through discussion, reading texts, watching films and documentaries, and lectures by noted scholars and historians. All of this will be further explored through collaborative learning experiences during the immersive on-site visits.
- Assist in the supervision and management of Master Teachers and Counselors
- Ensure compliance with American Camp Association standards and state and local standards of care for students
- Assist in establishing and supervising daily routines and procedures for staff and students
- Serve as a direct line of communication to parents
- Maintain records of all activities, operations, and staff
- Serve as the expert on the crisis management plan, including all emergency procedures.
- Monitor safety and all procedures as they pertain to the complete supervision of all students and staff
- Manage the logistics of all student travel and site visits
- Help provide an atmosphere for developing good morale and well-being among the Academy family
- Model initiative, resiliency, and patience for students, while maximizing student experience
- Conduct all activities in a professional manner
- Serve as the primary caregiver for each student. Maintain high levels of health and safety for all students and staff
- Be a role model for students and staff in attitude and behavior. Follow and uphold all safely and security rules, and all policies and procedures
- Support the values and mission of the National History Academy
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and leadership skills. You must be able to speak clearly to students, other teachers, parents and administration officials.
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Problem solving skills and the ability to lead
- The ability to manage all situations with authority
- Create healthy relationships with students and faculty to create a high-quality learning environment
- Observe and assess student behavior and enforce safety regulations, emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist students in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Must be first-aid/CPR certified
- Must maintain a CDL License
- Must pass a background check
This is a 5-week residential program, so the Assistant Director is expected to live on-campus for the duration of the five weeks. The position will provide room & board, a stipend, transportation to and admission at all historic sites visited, and a truly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience American history in the places it actually happened.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Michelle Burrelli (Michelle@historycamp.com). No phone calls.