Details: Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has.
We’re expanding our development team so we can make an even bigger impact on our campaigns to protect wildlife from plastic pollution, transition to 100% clean energy and more. We are looking to hire highly qualified, driven and passionate candidates to spearhead fundraising efforts for our environmental and public interest programs in New England and the Midwest.
Mission and Background
Environment America is a policy and action group with more than two million members and supporters spread across all 50 states. We promote national, state and local policies that put the environment first. For example, we’ve won policies that have resulted in more solar and wind power in 22 states, cleaner cars and power plants nationwide, and better protections for our rivers, streams, lakes and drinking water. We work in partnership with the state offices of the Public Interest Network in 32 states and our federal advocacy office in Washington DC.
As a Donor Development Associate, you will be responsible for maximizing the financial and political support of member of Environment America and other organizations in the Public Interest Network. Responsibilities:
- Implement a monthly strategy of writing and calling current members and prospective donors to ask them for a one-on-one visit.
- Hold one-on-one visits with current members and prospective donors to build the relationship and ask them to deepen their financial support.
- Identify house party hosts, and in some cases, plan and implement events.
- Meet specific weekly and monthly fundraising performance benchmarks related to annual organizational fundraising goals, typically visiting with about 30 members per month.
- Follow up on outstanding pledges.
- Keep in touch with donors throughout the year, creating and sending at least six personalized updates.
- Engage donors in program and organizational work, such as events or campaign actions.
- Develop and implement customized cultivation strategies for top donors.
- Work with program staff to craft compelling campaign stories.
- Relay the feedback of members you meet with back to program staff.
- Implement daily, weekly and monthly systems for tracking income and expenses.
- Implement required legal disclosures.
- Maintain excellent notes on all contacts with and information about members and donors.
Donor Development Associates participate in an intensive, paid training program for the first week of the job, which is immediately followed by the first 1-month fundraising cycle. All associates take part in additional state, regional and national trainings and meetings throughout the year. There are opportunities for travel and advancement.
We are looking for smart and motivated college graduates who believe in and love fundraising and have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Candidates must demonstrate a track record of being able to effectively work independently. Previous fundraising experience required.
Compensation & Benefits
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. Compensation package will include opportunity to earn fundraising bonuses. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package.
Boston, Massachusetts and Chicago,IL.
Fill out our online application. Attach your resume and cover letter in .pdf form, and address your cover letters to Johanna Neumann, Environment America Donor Development Director.
Things To Know When You Apply
Environment America is part of the Public Interest Network. The Public Interest Network is home to 16-plus organizations that share a vision of a better country, a set of core values about our work and a coordinated strategic approach to getting things done. Click here for things you should know when you apply.
Environment America is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy or veteran status.
Minimum Education Required