Position Summary: Children's Aid's Development team is expanding! Reporting to the Associate Director of Institutional Giving, primary responsibility is to secure approximately $2 million in private grants by conducting ongoing prospect research and creating compelling, outcomes-driven, and client-ready letters of inquiry, proposals, reports, and other correspondence for a diverse audience of foundation and corporate donors. Additional responsibilities include management of the full grant cycle, including internal communications, donor management, and compliance with grant deliverables and outcomes. Administrative duties include maintenance of electronic and hard files, and leading an annual team-wide special project. The ideal candidate will possess not only the requisite experience, but also good judgement, strong attention to detail, and a belief that all kids have limitless potential.
Grant Writing and Portfolio Management (80%)
- Manage a $2M portfolio by developing, writing, and assembling proposals and reports to corporations and foundations (and public funders as needed), representing a diverse portfolio spanning 30+ programs. Use excellent discretion and independent judgement in presenting program content and outcomes.
- Promote ongoing stewardship with funders through customized communication and the distribution of publications including annual reports, newsletters and event invitations
- Work closely with program and fiscal teams to generate narrative content and project budgets
- Travel to Children’s Aid sites across NYC (Harlem, South Bronx, Washington Heights, and northern Staten Island) to meet with staff and gather information for proposal development
- Conduct research on program topic areas/target populations and integrate findings, including statistics into work product.
- Attend workshops, conferences, and events, to keep current in the field of child welfare, education, and social services as it pertains to Children’s Aid diverse programming
- Own the moves management process for each funder in portfolio, ensuring timely communications and key actions/notes are completed and tracked in donor files and Raiser’s Edge
- Assist the Director of Institutional giving in preparing annual budget projections. Use excellent judgement when suggesting projected amounts.
- Monitor compliance with grant deliverables and outcomes
- Coordinate prep and follow-up for donor site visits
- Conduct annual prospect research to uncover $200,000 in new support each year
- As appropriate, share leads with other grant writers
- Monthly, meet with Associate Director of Institutional Giving to discuss findings
- Quarterly, meet with program and fiscal staff to reconcile fundraising priorities for assigned program areas and adjust prospect strategy as needed
Special Projects (10%)
- Assist with implementing new systems and tools to improve department efficiency and effectiveness
- Perform other duties, as assigned by the Director and Associate Director of Institutional Giving, Director of Public Funding, or Chief Development Officer
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Grant writing experience required.
- Experience writing for sophisticated, data-driven funder audiences preferred.
- Excellent judgement, decision making, and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Experience in developing budgets preferred
- Detail and deadline oriented, with an ability to work well under pressure
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Previous experience with CRM databases, such as Raiser’s Edge preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply online through Children’s Aid website – Job ID: 002745
Children's Aid is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability