While young people from low-income communities – who are disproportionately young people of color – face systemic inequities in school, in the workforce, and in life, they possess unique strengths, resilience and tremendous potential. When provided with support and resources, these young people fulfill their potential and achieve success in school, work and life.
Through a combination of mentoring and transformative experiences, Summer Search supports young people to successfully transition from adolescence into adulthood. We aim to unleash the potential of our young people while also building a toolkit for navigating and challenging systemic barriers to higher education and career opportunities.
Summer Search Bay Area is seeking a Senior Development Associate, Data & Systems to provide exceptional operational support and data management for a $5+ million regional fundraising program. Reporting to the Bay Area Associate Director of Development and joining an experienced 7-member development team, this position calls for a meticulous “data enthusiast” to use Raiser’s Edge (RE) to manage donor data, develop the reports and systems to ensure effective and efficient development activities, and provide behind-the-scenes support in executing both large-scale and small fundraising events. This position is based in San Francisco and will support development efforts across the Bay Area region.
Specifically, the Senior Development Associate, Data & Systems will drive:
Development Data and Operations Management (60%)
• Ensure accurate, proactive and timely upkeep of all donor data in Summer Search’s Raiser’s Edge (RE) database, including updating constituent data, activity, and projections, coding gifts, processing gift acknowledgements, tracking donor relationships and actions, building donor profiles, and conducting data quality audits.
• Run scheduled and ad hoc reports, involving running queries and pulling data, including mailing lists, from RE database, manipulating in Excel, and presenting in an audience-appropriate format.
• Analyze data from reports to show progress on donor strategies, including major donor cultivation and solicitation, fundraising events, and annual fund activities.
• Create tools and dashboards to support external fundraising staff in managing their portfolios effectively and efficiently and meeting annual revenue goals.
• Coordinate with local and national program teams to build reports in our CoPilot (Salesforce) database on key areas that support our development activities, particularly student demographics and outcomes data.
Fundraising Support (30%)
• In collaboration with the Bay Area Development Manager, support data needs of development events, including our annual large-scale gala in the spring. These needs include: utilizing historical data to inform event fundraising strategy, mailing list development and management, RSVP tracking, day-of event production, and event follow-up.
• Partner with the National Development Manager and the Bay Area Development team to increase Bay Area revenue generated from our centrally-managed Annual Giving program through data analysis and moves management best practices.
• Partner with National Finance team to facilitate tracking of grant-funded project budgets and expenses for major grants.
Team Support (10%)
• Support the Bay Area Associate Director of Development in managing the Bay Area development budget, including event budgets.
• Assist in the preparation and creation of materials for Bay Area Development Committee and Board meetings, as needed.
• Collaborate with development peers across the Summer Search network to share and adopt best practices, recommending and implementing new data and operational strategies and tactics for the Bay Area team.
• Manage special projects as assigned by the Bay Area Associate Director of Development, Bay Area Director of Development and senior development staff.
WHO YOU ARE
• You have at least 3 years of work experience, ideally supporting a nonprofit development function, with demonstrated experience in data management, research, and reporting.
• You bring a genuine interest in Summer Search’s mission of unleashing students’ potential through mentoring and transformative experiences
• You bring prior experience using Raiser’s Edge (preferred), Salesforce, or comparable CRM database, as well as advanced Excel skills; fluidity and ease with technology and data analysis.
• You are a data enthusiast, using data to tell a story and communicate a point of view to a wide range of audiences and constituencies.
• You have eagle-eye attention to detail and project management skills; organized and systematic in managing multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• You are a resourceful and results-oriented self-starter, with an ability to thrive in an authentic, feedback-driven culture and roll-up-your-sleeves environment.
• You have a proven ability to collaborate as part of a team, proactively in sharing information and ideas with colleagues and holding self and others to high standards.
• You are highly motivated with capacity and desire to learn on-the-job.
• You employ critical thinking and problem-solving skills, with an ability to gather and use data to understand challenges and find solutions.
• You are willing to travel between our Bay Area office locations (currently San Francisco, Oakland, and Petaluma) and to meetings & events outside of normal work hours, as needed.
We are committed to staff learning, growth and development. Our investment includes:
• Competitive salaries. The salary range for this position is $45,000 - $55,000
• Medical insurance with up to 90% employer contribution
• Dental, vision, FSA, life and disability insurance plans
• 401 (K) and Employer Match up to $2,000 annually
• Generous time off including 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, and 18 holidays (3 floating holidays of your choice, a birthday day-off, 10 company-wide holidays, and a 1-week December closure).
• Individual, local, regional and national training, plus a $200 professional development stipend for external training
• A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization
• An organizational culture that supports staff well-being and holistic self-care/community care
• Ample opportunities to connect with the students and communities we serve
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
With a staff that cares deeply about social justice and racial justice, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission.
We are committed to building an organization with raised consciousness in order to impact how we work with students, as well as how we work together as a team.
We hope you will join us as we continue to build a justice-centered organization that fosters a work environment where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and valued.
SUMMER SEARCH IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Click here to submit a resume and targeted cover letter that answers the question, “Why are you interested in the Senior Development Associate, Data & Systems opportunity at Summer Search?” Please address your cover letter to Kenyon DeVault.