Spark (sparkprogram.org) is a Career Exploration and Self-Discovery Program that provides middle school students opportunities to understand, experience and pursue what’s possible for their future through skill-building workshops, 1:1 mentoring, and high school transition programs.
Spark is leading The Possibility Movement by bringing together diverse communities of families, schools and companies who care, share, teach and inspire. Spark Lab, Spark Mentorship and Spark High School Pathways use workplace experiences, mentoring and guided support to help students explore careers, build skills and find the right path to a successful future. Innovation and creativity flourish in a culture that’s always learning and always teaching!
Candidates will embody Spark’s Core Values: being a student and a mentor, working with passion and compassion, committing to collaboration and diversity, aiming high and true, and trusting/respecting each relationship.
Join a culture of possibility.
Reporting directly to the Program Director, the Program Manager will support Spark Bay Area’s programs by leading the successful implementation of career exploration and self-discovery opportunities that help middle school students understand, experience, and pursue what’s possible.
The Program Manager drives Spark’s day-to-day implementation at six partner schools and directly manages a Program Coordinator, resulting in consistently engaged students, supportive families, collaborative school partnerships, and enthusiastic volunteers.
Program Delivery (55%)
- Ensure consistent application of Spark’s quality monitoring and safety policies, supporting quality program experiences through overseeing regular program assessments, including frequent site visits;
- Implementation of Spark’s evaluation methods, including ensuring timely entry, up-to-date systems, and integrity of all participation, impact, and quality data;
- Recruit and facilitate for Spark Lab and High School Pathway workshops, successfully engaging students and volunteers in building skills and exploring careers;
- Execute against key performance and success metrics by leveraging relationship with partners and Coordinators;
- Drive planning and execution of programmatic events such as School Partner Training, Spark Lab Orientation, Reflection, and Match Night;
- Support the Program Director and Development team in the planning and execution of Share Your Spark.
Team Leadership (20%)
- Directly manage one Program Coordinator to energetically engage students and families, effectively manage student dismissal and travel when in person, implement Spark’s evaluation processes, and facilitate program workshops;
- Provide direct coaching and feedback to Program Coordinators to execute on programmatic goals as it pertains to enrollment, attendance retention, and stakeholder satisfaction, and deliver high quality programming resulting in strong relationships, rigorous projects, and social-emotional growth;
- Support the Program Director in leading staff onboarding and continuous training to create a high performing and positive work environment - ensuring their success as they build student, family, and school relationships;
- Together with the Program Director, lead team and culture-building activities rooted in Spark’s core vision, values, and mission.
Strategic Planning & Partnerships (15%)
- Develop and grow six school partnerships to ensure successful implementation of Spark programing and increasing collaboration and depth of partnership;
- Develop and maintain a strong system of communication and support with school staff to ensure successful management of program operations, team and individual goals are met, and continued recognition of the value Spark brings to students;
- Participate in and lead conversations with external partners to build relationships that better support our students and strengthen Spark’s existing program.
Volunteer Management (10%)
- Lead support for mentors to ensure high-quality experiences by assisting in the mentor clearance and training process, executing weekly mentor communications, providing on-going training and coaching throughout the semester, and keeping records in Salesforce up-to-date;
- When necessary, support the Partnerships Director in volunteer mentor recruitment through information sessions, individual outreach, and collateral.
- Experience building successful relationships in Bay Area schools and communities, including with school administration, teachers, students, families, and community organizations, preferably at the middle school level;
- Significant cross-cultural competency, including understanding and successfully relating to the experience of urban students and professional partners;
- Demonstrated passion for and commitment to empowering students to be self-actualized learners;
- Project Management
- Highly proficient with computers, including experience with or willingness and ability to learn Google Suite and Salesforce;
- Spanish fluency is highly desired
To be successful as a member of the Spark team in this role, you will:
- Be an independent, results-focused, highly-organized self-starter;
- Thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, operating with a results-orientation and exceptional attention to detail;
- Have a proactive personality; no work is ‘beneath’ you and you are eager to support others, rolling up your sleeves when necessary;
- Be comfortable giving and receiving honest, constructive feedback
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary: $60,000 - $65,000 based on experience.
Health Benefits: Full health coverage is provided, including medical, dental and vision no more 30 days after an employee’s first day. Spark covers up to 100 percent of monthly premiums for employees, and a portion of the monthly premiums for dependents. Employee-funded flexible spending accounts for health and dependent care are offered. A life insurance policy providing $50,000 of coverage is also included.
Learning Benefits: Spark highly values staff’s personal learning pursuits. Priority is placed on opportunities to pursue your choice of professional training opportunities, including workshops, conferences, and more.
Retirement Benefits: Spark offers a 401K plan for employees to make retirement planning investments. Spark will match 100% of the first 4% of employee contributions.
Paid Time Off: Employees receive unlimited PTO.
Non-Monetary Compensation: The opportunity to be an integral member of an energetic, innovative, hard-working and rapidly growing team, within an organization that has the potential to significantly change the trajectory of middle-school education nationwide.
Spark is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, and evaluate all candidates based on merit; we strongly encourage and seek qualified applications from underrepresented groups.