The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
This is a term limited position expected to last through 12/31/2020.
NRDC is seeking a Director of City Strategy and Engagement with the American Cities Climate Challenge (ACCC) in the Healthy People and Thriving Communities program. The ACCC is an unprecedented opportunity for 20 ambitious cities to significantly deepen and accelerate their efforts to tackle climate change and promote a sustainable future for their residents. The Director of City Strategy and Engagement provides leadership and oversight, builds and maintains key relationships and leverages opportunities to bring senior and mayoral level decision-making to bear on project policy and program objectives. This role has senior strategic and leadership responsibilities and serves as a critical point of coordination and information sharing between different elements of the ACCC. They will have management oversight of all city engagement managers.
Learn more about the ACCC at:https://www.bloomberg.org/program/environment/climatechallenge/
- Leverage existing relationships with mayors, sustainability directors and other key city stakeholders to accelerate and deepen city climate action, in furtherance of goals of ACCC; develop new relationships with additional decision-makers and key policy staff at the city level
- Integrate existing contacts and develop new political relationships to enhance build-out of ACCC networks.
- Work in close collaboration with the Project Director and Buildings and Energy and Transportation Directors to:
- Develop the overarching strategies for getting programs and policies advanced in the 20 cities
- Develop and implement political, advocacy and stakeholder strategy in alignment with overarching strategy for policy success
- Oversee all city engagement within ACCC, through a dedicated city engagement team, ensuring effective communications, coordination, and partnership with critical stakeholders within and across cities.
- Interface with the ACCC Technical Strategists to ensure coordination and information sharing among these work streams.
- Supervise all city engagement managers to ensure effective coordination of day to day activities across all cities; collaborate with and mentor city advisors.
- 10-15 years of related experience at the city level, overseeing and directly securing and implementing clean energy and transportation policies and programs.
- Experience managing teams and being part of large, cross-sector, multi-partner initiatives.
- Graduate degree in a related field.
- Extensive network among mayors, sustainability directors, and other key stakeholders.
- Ability to participate in teams that work collaboratively towards shared outcomes
- Excellent writing skills, strong verbal communication, and confident public speaker
- Willingness to travel to participating Challenge cities throughout the United States, as well as to other NRDC offices and U.S. locations as needed
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-899-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Minimum Education Required