THIS IS A LIVE IN POSITION: STUDIO APARTMENT
Please only apply of you can reside in a studio apt.
LOOKING TO HIRE IMMEDIATELY
Providence House, Inc. is a value driven not-for-profit organization focused on assisting women in building community and transforming their lives. The agency is committed to promoting wholeness and healing while offering quality evidence based services to women and children who find themselves homeless and/or involved with the criminal justice system. Providence House follows a trauma based practice model. Providence House was founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph over thirty years ago and continues to hold the values of non-violence, compassion, hospitality and community at its core. Providence House is actively seeks to provide support, training and opportunities that foster growth and well-being for its staff as well as the women we serve.
JOB DESCRIPTION BUILDING SUPERINTENDENT:
The Building Superintendent under the direction of the Director of Maintenance & Building Operations & Program Director will be responsible providing a safe and adequate living and work environment for our tenants and staff. The Building Superintendent is responsible for daily maintenance, repairs, and building code compliance as it relates to local, state, federal and legal requirement and agency policies and procedures.
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Maintenance & Building Operations
Maintenance & Repairs
- Perform general repairs in plumbing, electrical, painting, plastering, lock repair, carpentry, masonry, etc., to all common areas and in tenant apartments.
- Perform custodial duties in all common areas; sweeping, mopping, waxing floors, emptying trash, garbage and snow removal, trimming of trees and bushes; leaf blowing, maintain clear and clean sidewalks and garden maintenance as needed, etc.
- Ensures all apartments are prepared in a timely manner for new occupancy, to include cleaning and repairs, refuse removal, painting; removal of damaged furniture; installation of furniture in apartments.
- Ensures lighting is functional in all common areas on daily basis, i.e., lobby, hallways, stairwells, laundry, tenant, recreation, and computer rooms, offices, bathrooms, elevators, entrances and exits.
- Ensures that all emergency and exit lighting is fully operational and functioning on a daily basis.
- Provide access to and monitor outside vendors or work teams to ensure that quality of services are being rendered.
- Perform regularly scheduled extermination services to apartments, common areas and basement as needed.
- Ensures that all building keys are properly marked and maintained in a designated key box. Immediately reports all keys lost by tenants to Program Director. In coordination with Program Director create and monitor log for replacement of lost keys.
- In coordination with Director of Maintenance & Building Operations and Program Director, develop and implement maintenance and cleaning schedules to meet the changing needs of tenants and staff.
- Respond to all emergency calls on a 24 hour basis.
- Responsible for maintaining all operating equipment on the premises: boiler, elevators, sprinklers, alarms, and HVAC systems in common areas, and apartments; etc.
- Inspects facilities and equipment to determine the need and extent of service for all equipment, and maintenance of said equipment.
- Maintains overall building as necessary to create clean and safe and sanitary conditions by maintaining the heating, hot water, and ventilation systems, both centrally and in individual apartments, ensuring preventative maintenance schedule; sewer drains and traps, including secondary lines and ensures that all drainage areas are free of debris for proper water run-off; interiors to basement, railing and exterior iron gates and grill.
- Observe status of building systems and equipment under warranty or contract in order to ensure proper functioning and that repairs are completed under the terms of the warranty or contract.
Equipment & Supplies
- Repairs and maintains equipment in common areas, and apartments as needed, as well as roof, fire escapes and any additional items pertinent to the efficient management of said property.
- Ensures building and maintenance supplies are adequately stocked, and machinery, equipment and furniture are secured, and operational.
- Create and maintain control of inventory, ordering receiving of janitorial supplies; replenishing order with approval of Director of Maintenance & Building Operations.
- Compliance, Inspections and Reporting
- Maintain building and property in good condition and in compliance with all building codes, local, state, and federal requirements, and agencies, policies and procedures.
- Conduct inspections as required by Providence House preventative maintenance program for all building systems and equipment and keep accurate records of all inspections conducted.
- Maintains accurate log of records of all inspections and violations received from outside agencies and report immediately all inspections conducted and results of those inspections to Director of Maintenance & Building Operations.
- Responds to tenant inquiries and is responsible for maintaining documents related to administrative functions as well as tenants work order requests.
- Completes all necessary paper work for all legalities, including documents for the fire department and any and all paper for proper licensing.
- Completes and maintains all reports for safety related building incidents in a timely manner and reports all incidents to Program Director & Director of Maintenance & Building Operations.
- Attends classes and training to maintain certifications for maintenance and inspections to boiler, electrical repair, fire safety and HVAC systems in order to adequately address maintenance needs of building and to increase knowledge of particular building systems.
Program Team and Staff Relations
- Work as a Providence House team member with all staff and volunteers in order to implement the mission and core values of the agency.
- Work with Director of Maintenance and Building Operations and Program Director and other staff to ensure that agency’s goals and objective are being met.
- Attend regular internal and external agency meetings, workshops and training and supervisory meeting.
- Performs related duties as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required;
- A minimum of 2 to 5 years of experience in residential maintenance and repair and/or as a Building Superintendent..
- At least one year supervisory experience preferred
- Hands-on ability to maintain building mechanical systems, equipment, and fire systems plus strong HVAC background.
- Certificate of Fitness Fire Safety preferred
- Certificate of Fitness Sprinkler Systems preferred
- Certificate of Fitness to Maintain Fire Alarm System preferred
- Knowledge or certification in HVAC Systems
- General knowledge of all construction trade types (carpentry, plumbing, painting, electrical, mechanical, etc.).
- Heavy lifting, as well as snow shoveling is required, as well as the ability to move stoves and refrigerators, furniture, etc.
- Must be able to lift and carry heavy items which weigh up to 100lbs regularly.
- Must be able to operate machines; i.e., floor buffers, snow blowers, hand drills, power washers, table saws, etc.,
- The ability to promptly and successfully respond to client and tenant issues and work requests.
- Experience in conducting building inspections, correcting deficiencies and follow-up.
- Excellent organizational, communication and time management skills.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities with efficiency and accuracy with a commitment to maintaining high building standards.
- Competent technology including proficiency with using Microsoft Office;
This is a live-in position. Studio Apartment.
Work schedule will be determined by a mutually agreed-upon schedule.
Evenings and/or weekend work may be required.
The office and live-in location for this position in Brooklyn, New York.