Details: .8 FTE to Full-Time Exempt
District of Columbia
The Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity (PRE) is a Washington, DC area-based project of the Tides Center intended to increase the amount and effectiveness of resources aimed at combating institutional and structural racism in communities. PRE’s work focuses on capacity building, education, and convening of grant makers and grant seekers. Launched in 2003, PRE has worked with hundreds of foundations across the country, providing assessments, training, conducting research, producing publications and playing a leadership role in the movement to strengthen philanthropy's impact on racial justice. For additional information about PRE: www.racialequity.org.
With a 30-year history in progressive social change work, CA-based Tides Center is the nonprofit sector’s leading sponsor of social innovation, providing back-office services, a legal framework, and capacity-building support for projects that share our vision of a just, healthy, and sustainable world.
The Communications and Program Manager implements Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity’s (PRE) goals and strategies and plays a key role in PRE’s success. The position is responsible for designing and developing program content; maximizing participation in and satisfaction with PRE programs, events, and activities; and expanding PRE’s audience (both reach and engagement) across its multiple outlets. The position is also responsible for increasing PRE’s visibility and connections with racial justice movement leaders and philanthropic partners. The position will report to the Executive Director of PRE.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.
- Write programmatic content based on compiled research, program outcomes, and thought leadership
- Write marketing and programmatic content for communications assets such as website, social media, e-newsletters (general and programs), membership materials, and marketing and promotional materials
- Design look and feel for communications assets (graphic design skills desirable)
- Promote PRE resources
- Support approved communications work for PRE-related collaborations
- Plan and execute effective communications strategies for PRE programs and content; build PRE’s new brand identity, and make appropriate and effective use of all PRE communications channels for our core work in public policy, philanthropy education, knowledge services, and member services
- Develop and update integrated communication plans and timelines, in collaboration with key organizational consultants, to ensure successful delivery of communication campaigns
- Manage production of communication assets (website, social media, e-newsletters, membership materials, and marketing and promotional materials)
- Manage updates and changes to the website’s design, structure, and navigation
- Manage PRE’s online presence, including websites, blogs, and social media accounts
Program Development and Evaluation
- Create and curate meaningful content for foundations and philanthropic partners that work to combat institutional and structural racism
- Develop programs to feature learning, and share in various philanthropic venues
- Design and execute learning events, including meetings, forums, institutes, webinars, conference calls, and other relationship- and network-building activities
- Engage allied funders and funder formations in conversations that help to: (a) amplify the impact, and (b) lift up the practice of centering strategies from the ground
- Coordinate and align philanthropic resources to support the strategy development, capacity building, and collaborations of frontline organizations doing racial equity work
- Develop partnerships with other national and regional philanthropy-serving organizations to design programs and engage members across interest areas
- Plan, manage, analyze, and report on evaluations for PRE programs
- Coordinate all the logistics for managing programs and collaborations, including but not limited to: scheduling, creating collateral, and promoting events
- Build community and raise awareness of issues affecting communities
- Engage and build relationships with new funders who could support this work
- Maintain relationships with existing funders to keep them up to date on PRE’s existing work, support their efforts to integrate a racial equity lens, and explore potential and receptiveness for additional commitments
You will be an excellent fit for this position if you have:
- At least 5 years of professional experience in communications and program management
- Significant experience working on issues of racial equity and racial justice in the nonprofit and/or philanthropic sector and a commitment to support PRE’s mission
- Experience managing and developing internet content
- Excellent organizational, project management, and campaign coordination skills
- Experience conducting research; ability to analyze and synthesize information
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to tailor complex materials and messages into an understandable and compelling language for a variety of audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a desire and ability to work with diverse groups of people and the ability to make a strong first impression for PRE
- The ability to stay positive, maintain a level of high personal energy, and adapt to changing priorities
- A reputation for being thoughtful and insightful, a fast learner, and flexible and dynamic with the ability to adapt and iterate to changing or ambiguous circumstances
- The ability to anticipate, appreciate, and reconcile diverse and complex perspectives
- Demonstrated attention to detail, commitment to quality, and fidelity to service
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including Outlook, Word, Power Point, Excel, Access), HTML/CSS editor software (such as Microsoft Expression or Dreamweaver) a plus, MailChimp, WordPress, social media platforms
- A home base in close vicinity (20 miles) of major airport and travel routinely
- A degree, advanced study, and/or qualified experience in communications, critical theory, or related fields
- Graphic design skills
- Working with networks or membership organizations
- Working in small, virtual teams that span time zones
- Identifying new revenue opportunities and/or business models
- Managing budgets and forecasting revenues
Salary range at full-time is $60,000-$80,000. Salary is commensurate with experience and geographical base. This position is currently a grant-funded full-time position for two years, with the possibility for expansion/extension.
Benefits include: health, dental, vision, retirement, and generous vacation time.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you are interested, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org: a cover letter addressed to Lori Villarosa, your resume, and 3 samples of your writing. Please include “Program and Communications Manager” in the subject line of your email. Due to limited capacity, we are taking no phone calls. The position is open until filled, but first consideration will be given to applications received by June 15, 2018.
Equal Employment Opportunity: PRE welcomes and encourages people from underrepresented and underserved communities including people of color, people with disabilities, women, LGBTQ-identified candidates to apply. PRE will provide, excepting any undue hardship, reasonable accommodations upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.