1152 San Bernard Street
Six Square - Austin’s Black Cultural District is looking for an Operations Manager to complement our growing team. Six Square was created to provide programming and services to preserve the historic legacy of African American culture in Austin by preserving the cultural assets represented in the built environment, providing educational opportunities about African American history, providing opportunities for continued cultural production within Austin’s urban core and to drive economic development opportunities for Austin’s African American community.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Operations Manager is a full-time position for a versatile individual with a minimum of three years of financial management experience. This individual will be responsible for improving the operational systems, processes and policies to support better management reporting, information flow and management, business processes and organizational planning for a growing organization with a great reputation.
The Operations Manager will be responsible for accounts payable, payroll, managing HR, helping and creating organizational and program budgets in collaboration with the ED and Program Manager, data entry, facilities management, serving as recording secretary to the board and board committees, and other administrative responsibilities as assigned.
Reporting to the ED and serving as a member of the management team, this position's primary responsibility is ensuring organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for the organization's administrative and financial functions. This position also contributes to the development and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and procedures, and interacts with the Board of Directors.
- Developing and/or improving operational systems, processes and best practices that guarantee organizational well-being.
- Managing and increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of support services (HR, IT and Finance), through improvements to each function as well as coordinating and communicating between support and business functions.
- Play a significant role in long-term planning, including an initiative geared toward operational excellence.
- Oversee overall financial management, planning, systems and controls.
- Managing agency budget in coordination with the Executive Director.
- Developing program budgets in collaboration with other managers.
- Invoicing to funding sources.
- Managing human resource functions including: payroll, tabulation of accrued employee benefits, and health insurance, etc.
- Disbursing checks for agency expenses.
- Organizing fiscal documents.
Responsibilities by Function
- Direct annual budgeting and planning process for the organization's annual budget with ED.
- Develop and manage annual budget.
- Oversee monthly and quarterly assessments and forecasts of organization's financial performance against budget, financial and operational goals. Oversee short and long-term financial and managerial reporting.
- Managing day to day processing of accounts receivable and payable using QuickBooks, producing reports as requested.
- Reconciling monthly activity, generating year-end reports, and fulfilling tax related requirements.
- Assisting Executive Director and Board in creating annual organizational budget and monitoring cash flow.
- Handling all accounting related requests to internal and external parties.
- Prepare information for annual audit and be a liaison with all outside vendors.
- Increase the effectiveness and efficiency of support services through improvements to each function (HR, IT, Finance).
- Drive initiatives in the management team and organizationally that contribute to long-term operational excellence.
- Purchase materials, plan inventory and ensure office supplies are available.
- Serve as the point person for all IT needs (computers, printers, software, etc.).
- Oversee organizational insurance policies.
- Establish system for maintaining archival, administrative, fund development and program files.
- Has a keen sense of detail and organization.
- Strong background and work experience in Finance.
- Excellent computer skills and proficient in Excel, Word, Outlook.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Knowledge and experience in organizational effectiveness and operations management implementing best practices.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- Budget development and oversight experience.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards.
- Excels at operating in a fast pace, community environment.
- Excellent people manager, open to direction and collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done.
- Delegate responsibilities effectively.
- Adequate knowledge of organizational effectiveness and operations management.
- Basic IT skills (databases, MS Office etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree and related experience at the management level.
- 3 plus years experience in bookkeeping/financial management.
- Knowledge of tax and other compliance implications of non-profit status.
- Knowledge of government contract management.
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects or initiatives.
- Demonstrated knowledge of improving operational management systems, processes and best practices that guarantee organizational well-being.
- Demonstrated analytical and critical thinking skills; problem solving ability.
- Nonprofit experience a plus.
- Familiarity with African-American history and racial politics in the city of Austin.
- Positive attitude and collaborative spirit.
- Operations Manager will work in a small, friendly office environment.
- Operations Manager will work a standard work week but may be required to work some evenings and weekends to support organization’s programs and activities.
Health benefits provided.
Minimum Education Required