Position Profile: Executive Director
The Providence After School Alliance (PASA) is currently seeking an Executive Director who will lead the strategic direction for PASA’s next chapter, while grounding that vision in partnership with the Board, staff and partners.
Guided by the mission, values and youth-centric model at PASA, the Executive Director will build upon the successes of a highly respected, high-performing, team-based working environment and will seek to increase the impact of the organization’s deep commitment to the role that after school and expanded learning programs play in creating positive outcomes for youth in urban communities. The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Directors, a dynamic group of highly engaged community, private and public sector leaders, chaired by the Mayor of Providence.
Established in 2004, by then Mayor David Cicilline and over 100 community after school leaders, youth and educators, PASA has a mission to help close persistent opportunity gaps by expanding and improving quality after school, summer and other out-of-school time learning opportunities for all the youth of Providence by organizing a sustainable public-private partnership that contributes to student success and serves as a national model. PASA has served as a model of what a city system-wide after school intermediary can achieve.
For 17 years this system has provided access to high quality after school arts, sports, STEM and career-related programs to over 16,000 middle and high school youth attending Providence’s public middle and high schools. By building a well-organized system of quality after school programs, bolstered by a nationally recognized continuous quality improvement approach with over 50 community-based and public sector partners, PASA has leveraged a mix of public and private funding that has helped expand and stabilize the after school field locally.
For more information about PASA visit http://mypasa.org.
The Executive Director will guide the growth of the organization by continually evolving, learning, cultivating and creating new long-term alliances and funding sources. They are accountable for the overall leadership, direction and management of the organization’s resources to accomplish key goals, further the mission and build relationships throughout the community and with national partners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
● Championing the Mission of PASA: A passionate advocate; applies an equity and social justice lens to champion the mission of PASA where the after school field in Providence and Rhode Island addresses youth access to and engagement in relevant and dynamic hands-on learning opportunities and promotes quality after school practices.
● Financial Oversight and Leadership: Manages a $2 million annual budget and allocation of resources; ensures financial sustainability and sound financial practices.
● Organizational Leadership: Creates an inclusive organizational culture; recruits, hires, leads, develops, mentors and motivates a diverse staff in an inclusive team-based environment in which all staff are connected to the organization's mission, vision, and shared values.
● Partnership Development/Relationship Building: Works with all stakeholders, current and future, to enlist and sustain them as critical partners to achieve common goals. Collaborates with public and private entities including the Mayor’s office of the city of Providence, other governmental offices, for-profit and non-profit entities and leaders in education. Maintains political and policy contacts and helps inform out-of-school time policies in the local, state and national level.
● Communication: Manages communications within and outside the organization, serving as the primary external contact, chief advocate and spokesperson for PASA.
● Fundraising/Development: Secures sources of income and develops fundraising strategies to support the mission and objectives of the organization. Raises a diverse mix of public, private and donor funds needed to sustain and develop PASA’s work by actively soliciting donations with support of fundraising, grants and communications consultants. Manages the funding relationships and oversees all reports and accountability systems required of each funder.
● Innovation: Helps shape and inspire new program initiatives by staying on top of national trends and models as well as emerging concepts.
● Board Relations: Develops collaborative relationships with the Board of Directors; providing proactive communications, support to committees and leadership in the strategic planning process.
● Community Involvement: Serves on community youth related planning and policy teams that support PASA’s mission, and on the Board of the Rhode Island Afterschool Network.
● Policy and Program Development: Oversees all of the organization’s programs and operations.
Experience and Education
The Executive Director will have senior level leadership experience that includes some combination of youth development or education, adult learning, library systems or working in after school programs in diverse, low-income urban settings. Some experience working in a non-profit organization with a board of directors is preferred.
● Bachelor’s degree required.
● Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
● Experience creating a work environment that values transparency and team work and offers the opportunity for a diverse group of employees to be heard and involved in making decisions.
● Track record of building and leveraging relationships within and among a diverse group of stakeholders which may include government officials at the state or local level, nonprofit and business leaders is highly desirable.
● Fundraising public and private funds.
● Public policy and planning experience.
Our preferred candidate can engage others in the community and build and strengthen relationships among all stakeholders. A systems thinker, true collaborator and skilled communicator, as the public face for the organization, this individual will be able to proactively develop effective internal and external relationships, and engage board members, staff, donors, funders, partners, public officials and community stakeholders around PASA’s mission and commitment to youth. They should possess the following attributes:
● The ability to internalize the values of the organization and to express and represent these values in carrying forward and expanding PASA’s programs. Can inspire and create excitement around the mission, strategically envision the future and then move the organization in that direction.
● Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, racial and social justice; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences.
● A leadership style that is collaborative; a strong relationship and network builder, politically savvy, with the communication and interpersonal skills suited to building and nurturing relationships with people of different perspectives and socio-economic backgrounds.
● A keen, analytical problem solver with a hands-on approach to managing desired outcomes.
● Excellent oral, listening and written communication skills, a good sense of humor, and contagious enthusiasm.
● A visionary who is innovative and creative, anticipates future trends and open to new approaches and opportunities.
● Ability to promote PASA at the national, state and local level.
● Transparent in their actions; personal integrity, honesty, and respect for others as demonstrated throughout their career.
● Comfortable with public speaking and presenting to groups.
● Strong financial management, budgeting and business planning skills.
● Familiar and proficient with technology to ensure efficiencies.
Position Profile: Executive Director
The Providence After School Alliance (PASA) is currently seeking an Executive Director who will lead the strategic direction for PASA’s next chapter, while grounding that vision in partnership with…
Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
This is an exciting opportunity for a values-based leader who is truly committed to making a positive contribution to the community. Compensation will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
PASA is an equal opportunity employer and fully committed to a culturally diverse staff to better serve our youth and community. People of color, women, LGBTQ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
All candidates whose application is received by March 19, 2021 will be given full consideration by the search committee.
Candidates should submit a resume and cover letter describing their interest in this position, references, and salary requirements to:
Cynthia Butler, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Butler & Associates Human Resources Consulting
For more information: http://mypasa.org.
This is an exciting opportunity for a values-based leader who is truly committed to making a positive contribution to the community. Compensation will be commensurate…