Details: The Development and Communications Director position is half-time and compensation will be dependent on experience, ranging from $18,000 - $20,000 per year (full-time equivalent of $36,000 - $40,000).
Wild Whatcom is a flourishing non-profit organization dedicated to connecting youth to nature and developing positive character traits through outdoor exploration and discovery. We provide experiential learning opportunities that inspire participants to explore, connect, and serve, while building healthy relationships with nature, community, and self.
Wild Whatcom seeks a talented Development and Communications Director to work closely with the Executive Director on fundraising, communications, marketing, and outreach. A large part of the Director’s responsibilities will be to identify and engage new donors in order to increase our percentage of major donor and business contributions. They will also be responsible for developing new grant opportunities; crafting and implementing an outreach and marketing strategy that reflects our values and vision; managing our annual winter appeal; and working to augment our positive presence in the community through outreach and social media. The Director will be an integral part of the broader Wild Whatcom team and will participate in other activities to help support our overall mission of fostering a lifelong connection with nature and community. This position reports directly to the Executive Director.
- 3+ years experience in a leadership role that included fundraising, donor development, and marketing outreach, preferably in a non-profit setting.
- Ability to energetically and accurately represent Wild Whatcom to a variety of constituents including major and annual donors, community partners, foundations, parents, and other organizations.
- Progressive experience in development including donor cultivation, securing individual and business donations, event-planning, online giving, organizing appeals, training others, strategic fundraising planning, and social media campaigns. Capital campaign and estate-giving experience helpful.
- Extensive knowledge of donor development strategies, donor management techniques, and effective outreach strategies.
- Budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, and reporting.
- Talented social media, outreach, and communications strategist.
- A motivated self-starter with flexibility, creativity, and sense of humor.
- Superior interpersonal, public, and written communications skills.
- Ability to quickly build rapport in person, as well as through phone conversations and personal correspondence.
- A team player able to collaborate with a diverse array of people, including board, staff, community partners, foundations, and volunteers.
- Ability to prioritize effectively and handle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ease and comfort using Google systems, Microsoft Office Suite, and social media.
- Growing and managing a donor and prospect portfolio, requiring personal visits to cultivate, steward, and solicit contributions to meet fundraising goals for programs and organizational capacity.
- Planning and implementing giving campaigns, managing volunteers, developing and implementing strategies for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors.
- Developing and executing effective communication and outreach strategies to cultivate donors, attract participants, and build awareness of Wild Whatcom’s positive impact in our community.
- Developing and implementing a cohesive social media campaign that aligns with our organizational values and spirit.
- Producing communication and donor cultivation materials, such as annual report, updates, newsletters, handouts, presentation slides, etc.
No health or retirement benefits at this time.
Level of Language Proficiency
English, others valued but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resumé, short writing sample, and contact information for at least two references. Please direct all questions and application materials (emailed as .PDF files) to email@example.com, with your name and “Development and Communications Director” in the subject line.
Wild Whatcom is committed to social equity and justice and seeks a diversity of racial, economic, and cultural backgrounds among its staff and board. We particularly encourage candidates with non-caucasian racial identities, native Spanish speakers, or members of social groups that experience systemic bias to apply.
Wild Whatcom is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, or marital status in employment or the provision of services.