50 South French Broad Avenue
United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County is dedicated to working with others to build a strong, caring community where residents are educated, financially stable and healthy.
Our mission: United People. Improve Lives. Strengthen Community.
We accomplish our mission with four strategies: the Middle School Success initiative; Hands On Asheville-Buncombe Volunteer Center; NC 2-1-1 Information and Referral service; and Community Partnerships - grants and contracts with local health and human service nonprofit organizations.
This position reports to the CEO and supervises the Building Superintendent, Donor Analytics & Administration Manager and the Finance Associate.
The Vice President of Finance and Operations advances our mission through leadership in the areas of financial management and accounting, human resources, general administration and facilities management. A successful Vice President of Finance and Operations values fairness, collaboration, transparency, diversity, accuracy and efficiency. This position is charged with prudently stewarding the organization’s assets and partnering with staff and volunteers in the budgeting process by allocating resources in a way that empowers them to effectively achieve change.
Financial Management and Accounting
- Maintain accounting records for the organization in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Lead the organization through the annual independent audit of its financial statements.
- Create annual mission-driven budgets for the organization.
- Prepare financial statements and report quarterly to the Finance & Building Committee.
- Practice fund accounting to properly manage restricted assets.
- Prepare statements and hold monthly financial meetings with department leaders.
- Using CRM platform, Andar 360, pay donor designated gifts to independent non-profit agencies.
- Supervise all accounts receivable and accounts payable operations.
- Maintain the general ledger, reconciling bank accounts monthly.
- Process and journalize payroll.
- Serve as primary contact to financial institutions and investment managers.
- Analyze financial operations with an eye for continuous improvement.
- Serve as primary benefits administrator for the organization, selecting and managing health insurance plans, 401(k) plan, Flexible Spending Accounts and Health Reimbursement Arrangement.
- Manage and direct onboarding, offboarding, PTO recordkeeping and benefits compliance with cloud-based HR software.
- Serve as resource to staff by understanding and explaining benefits portfolio and assist staff in using the portfolio, as required.
- Analyze staff salary structure, consulting comparative data to ensure competitive compensation.
- As member of the Leadership Team, guide organization with strategic direction and tactical action.
- With input from staff and IT Consultant, manage and ensure integrity of software and hardware, including computers, business equipment and data storage.
- Serve on staff-led Technology Committee.
- Manage general liability insurance policies and compliance-related items for the organization.
- Support the organization’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion through participation in staff-led discussions, professional development opportunities and leadership.
- With Building Superintendent, manage 30,000 square foot public office building.
- Serve as primary contact for tenants, managing leases and tenant turnover.
- Ensure office building is a welcoming and safe environment for all employees and tenants.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or an equivalent combination of education and experience is essential for success in this position.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills are required.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office Suite, accounting software and CRM software is required.
United Way makes hiring decisions without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other basis as protected by federal, state or local law.
United Way of Asheville and Buncombe County
50 South French Broad Avenue, Asheville, NC 28801
Benefits include: 4 weeks paid vacation, sick and personal leave, 10 paid holidays, company contributions to 401(k) plan and 100% employee and 50% dependent company-paid health insurance premiums.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, visit www.unitedwayabc.org/employment-opportunities