The Alice Ferguson Foundation is an environmental educational organization on the Potomac River, focused on connecting people to the natural world, sustainable agricultural practices and the cultural heritage of their local watershed through education, stewardship and advocacy. Across our programs, we share the wonder and excitement of our farm campus and the woodlands, wetlands, and waterways of the Potomac River watershed with thousands of students, teachers, and community members each year.
The ideal candidate should be a highly-motivated individual who will develop and execute fundraising strategies for the Alice Ferguson Foundation, including outreach, solicitation, cultivation, networking, follow up and stewardship of potential and existing corporate sponsors (40%), do grant-writing and outreach to corporate and family foundations (30%) manage sponsor and donor cultivation through friend and fundraising events (20%), and support general relationship-based fundraising activities of the development team (10%).
- Collaborate with Director of Development on crafting and identifying annual strategic corporate giving and foundation goals and objectives, including expanding of fundraising networks and developing new corporate and foundation relationships.
- In partnership with the Director of Development, carry out outreach, solicitation, cultivation, networking, and steward potential and existing corporate sponsors.
- Identify, research, write and submit funding requests, letters of interest, and grant requests to corporate and family foundations.
- Cultivate corporate relationships through in-person meetings, facility tours, and general communication activities.
- Schedule and engage with targeted donors and manage, as needed, friend and fundraising events, tours and outreach.
- Manage donor outreach calendar and a relationship management process for corporate activity, and support the development of fundraiser-focused marketing materials.
- Plan, implement, and track fulfillment of corporate and foundation expectations (tickets, facility use, etc.), including tracking corporate invoices and pledges.
- Supports general development team activities as needed.
- Support the Foundation’s public outreach and marketing efforts, as needed, especially as related to events, including workplace giving events and presentations to prospective funders.
- Build the Foundation’s visibility through participation at conferences and meetings, development of training workshops, and networking with colleagues.
- Participate in staff development, including staff meetings and trainings.
- Work closely with and provide development support to the Director, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position is largely sedentary in nature, however one must possess the ability to speak, hear, and write as well as the ability to use a computer and related software programs and lift up to 25 lbs. Travel in the local area will be required, as is a car. This position may occasionally require weekend and evening work beyond regular work week hours.
Professional Standards of Conduct
- Exhibit teamwork and cooperation by sharing knowledge, coordinating duties with other staff, and demonstrating the willingness to assist others as needed.
- Treat staff members, volunteers, community members, corporate partners, and visitors with courtesy and respect.
- Exhibit leadership by taking initiative, mentoring, and problem-solving.
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged and sensitive information.
- Promote and support the values and mission of the Alice Ferguson Foundation in conduct.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EDUCATION REQUIRED
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred but not required; any combination of education and experience that enables the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Two years of nonprofit fundraising or sales experience with demonstrated success in securing financial sponsorships, sales and/or donations preferred.
- Knowledge of development department functions and best practices. Strong organizational, research, marketing, or business process skills.
- Strong proficiency using Microsoft Office, with strong web, internet research, and computer skills. Experience with donor management databases a plus.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, including demonstrated writing, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to work with and build relationships with high level constituents, including corporate leaders, donors, volunteers and board members.
- Demonstrated creative problem-solving skills, initiative, sound judgment, diplomacy and discretion.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, collegial, team-oriented, and entrepreneurial environment. Ability to maintain and track multiple tasks and timelines and communicate priorities and progress.
- Ability to maintain and track multiple tasks and timelines and communicate priorities.
- Familiarity with using, developing or implementing client relationship management tracking system a plus.
- Familiarly with basic graphic design principles a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Minorities /Female / Disabled / Veteran
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
At this time, most of our staff are working remotely as much as possible, we have cleaning protocols in place and staff wear masks. Our small staff size and office set up allow us to keep staff spaced appropriately.