Engage community volunteers as an AmeriCorps Volunteer Coordinator in Dallas!
- Job posted by Reading Partners
Reading Partners AmeriCorps - Community Engagement (2018-19)
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org.
AmeriCorps/VISTA engages more than 80,000 Americans in intensive service each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country. Since the program’s founding in 1994, more than 1 million AmeriCorps members have contributed more than 1.4 billion hours in service across America while tackling pressing problems and mobilizing more than 2.3 million volunteers for the organizations they serve.
At Reading Partners we have 400 AmeriCorps/VISTA members serving in various positions across the organization and across the country. This AmeriCorps service opportunity is community-based, supporting and implementing the Reading Partners mission while at the same time exemplifying the AmeriCorps motto of “getting things done.” Reading Partners strives to recruit AmeriCorps members who are dedicated to a year of service in the community, and we welcome your interest and application. Read on for more details!
Interested in empowering community volunteers to provide 1:1 tutoring to our amazing students? Check out our Volunteer Coordinator role!
The AmeriCorps Volunteer Coordinator serves as the face of Reading Partners within the community, leading the charge in recruiting and onboarding volunteer tutors, while also executing community engagement initiatives. No two days are alike for Volunteer Coordinators - this is an exciting opportunity to develop recruiting skills, build and maintain relationships with local organizations, and make a real impact in the community! Reading Partners AmeriCorps offers an amazing chance to give back and as a member you’ll receive benefits, a great place to serve, and the opportunity to springboard a glowing and growing career. Our top Volunteer Coordinators are ambassadors for service, demonstrate a hunger for community outreach, and strongly believe in our vision and values.
What you’ll do and how you’ll do it:
Volunteer Recruitment and Engagement
Lead Reading Partners’ efforts to recruit volunteer tutors in the respective region.
- As a face of Reading Partners in the community, Volunteer Coordinators demonstrate an ability to communicate our mission, vision, and volunteer opportunities throughout the region. Volunteer Coordinators can successfully tailor their recruiting pitches to different audiences and demonstrate a high level of comfort with public speaking. Identifying and implementing effective recruitment strategies is a significant component of the Volunteer Coordinator role, as are the creation and execution of retention strategies, planning for and hosting volunteer recognition events, and developing ways to appreciate partnerships.
Partnership Cultivation and Management
Cultivate and manage a portfolio of community partners that serve as pipelines for Reading Partners’ tutor recruitment efforts.
- We believe volunteers get results; our program can’t run without our volunteer reading partners! A self-starting individual will thrive best in this role, as Volunteer Coordinators must balance a variety of responsibilities, including partnership research and cultivation to broaden the volunteer base, maximizing existing partnerships, and providing marketing support to the region. Stellar organizational skills are a must for accurate tutor and partnership record tracking, data management through Salesforce, and supporting the high volume of volunteer tutor calls.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Are dedicated to national and community service
- Understand this position is an AmeriCorps service commitment and are dedicated to successfully completing a term of service.
- Demonstrate a passion for working with children
- Possess a natural ability to connect with people
- Are eager for a dynamic work schedule
- Boast a deep belief in and passionately promote our mission
- Demonstrate a love for relationship building and public speaking
- Have flexibility and adaptability in both work style and work environment
- Take initiative in meeting goals and seeking professional growth
- Can problem-solve through challenges and failures
- Pay strong attention to detail and manage competing priorities effectively
- Can quickly learn new technology systems and have a high level of comfort with MS Office, Google Apps
- Root your work in our core values
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience volunteering with other community-based or education programs
The Other things you Need To Know:
- Service Terms: AmeriCorps members serve full-time (approximately 40 hours/week) from August 2018 through June 2019 , and must commit to a service term of 1700 hours over an 11-month period.
- Travel : Volunteer Coordinators are constantly traveling throughout the community, and need reliable transportation to attend partnership meetings, career fairs, and other events. AmeriCorps members also make occasional trips to regional offices and service day events.
- Reading Partners AmeriCorps Orientation : At the start of each program year, Reading Partners holds an intensive program orientation training to take a deeper dive into our program, foster relationships with regional teams, and learn the skills necessary to execute their respective AmeriCorps role.
What We Offer:
- AmeriCorps members earn an annual living stipend of $16,000 along with medical, dental, and vision coverage at no cost for our members; childcare assistance is available through AmeriCorps for those who qualify. You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans. AmeriCorps members can earn an education award of $5,920 after successfully completing their service term.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To learn more about this opportunity and how to join the Reading Partners AmeriCorps team, check out our direct application link!
We look forward to hearing from you!