260 West 39th Street
America Needs You fights for economic mobility for ambitious, first-generation college students. We do this by providing transformative mentorship and intensive career development. ANY operates in New York, New York, Illinois and California. Visit www.americaneedsyou.org to learn more information.
The New York Executive Director leads our New York site and is responsible for its strategy, performance, funding and success. The Executive Director establishes and maintains relationships with local stakeholders, cultivates funding sources and manages the program (250+ students annually), staff, board and volunteers. The Executive Director works with the CEO, COO and the Chief Development Officer to set local strategy and growth plans in accordance with the national ANY Strategic Plan.
This position requires a commitment to our mission and work, a track-record of achieving excellence, proven success in management and fundraising, and the ability to oversee the day-to-day operations of a growing organization. The Executive Director reports directly to the CEO of America Needs You.
· Outreach and Development: work with the Chief Development Officer and the CEO to design and implement an effective local fundraising strategy ($1M+ annual budget); build a sustainable and diversified local funding base that includes individuals, corporations, foundations and public sources; plan special events; secure in-kind support; and serve as the external face of America Needs You – New York by building and managing relationships with the philanthropic community, key organizations and the media;
· Board Management and Development: identify and engage a diverse group of board members that will maximize impact and resources; manage board communications and facilitate quarterly meetings;
· Program: work with the New York staff and the COO to establish programmatic goals in New York and maximize our impact in the short and long run; ensure program quality and consistency with other ANY sites; supervise Fellow and volunteer recruitment and selection; develop and manage partnerships with stakeholders including college and university partners; manage twice monthly Saturday workshops for Fellow classes, including managing all staff, students, volunteers, speakers, activities, and events associated with the workshop; and source internships from corporate partners;
· Staff Management: lead the local team (4 full-time employees), oversee training and management, and ensure efficient office operations; and
· Financial Management: assist the Director of Finance and Administration of America Needs You in the budgeting process and developing a multi-year operating budget; manage the day-to-day operations.
Skills and Qualifications
· Advanced degree preferred, Bachelor’s Degree required
· Deep commitment to ANY’s mission
· Outstanding relationship management and communication skills
· Proven skills and experience in fundraising and moves management
· Knowledge of New York’s educational, civic and philanthropic landscape
· Ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders, including college students, volunteers, university partners, board members and donors
· Ability to mobilize small and large groups to action
· Commitment to outcomes driven performance
· Proven track record of program development and implementation
· Ability to lead a program within a larger national network
· Excellent public speaking, writing and editing skills
· Significant supervisory experience
· Strong understanding of technology and information systems pertinent to the role (Salesforce, Classy, Haiku, Wizehive)
· As ANY workshops are held on Saturdays, this position will require flexibility and willingness to work nontraditional work hours
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: NY Executive Director – Last_Name, First_Name). Please note that your application will not be considered without a cover letter. No phone calls please.