The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) works in 190 countries and territories to put children first. UNICEF has helped save more children’s lives than any other humanitarian organization, by providing health care and immunizations, clean water and sanitation, nutrition, education, emergency relief and more. UNICEF USA supports UNICEF's work through fundraising, advocacy and education in the United States. Together, we are working toward the day when no children die from preventable causes and every child has a safe and healthy childhood. For more information, visit www.unicefusa.org.
Manager, Public Relations
The Public Relations team is seeking a dynamic, creative manager to support a range of campaigns and initiatives that support UNICEF USA's mission to put children first. The position will report to the PR Director and will work closely with PR team members and colleagues across the organization to advocate, educate and fundraise on behalf of children by sharing compelling stories across a variety of mediums.
Key Responsibilities/Outcomes (include but are not limited to):
- Drafting, editing, routing and distributing select communications and press materials in addition to compiling and consolidating presentations, background and briefing materials and facilitating interdepartmental approvals as needed.
- Building and updating press lists and media opportunity lists while regularly pitching media outlets.
- Arranging media briefings, scheduling and staffing interviews for UNICEF USA spokespeople.
- Performing other duties and assisting in departmental activities as required.
Campaign, emergency and engagement support
- Working closely with internal stakeholders, support the development of and execution of public relations plans - aimed at sharing stories of UNICEF’s mission, advocacy and impact with audiences in target markets, including select geographic and Congressional districts.
- Closely watch media landscape around priority areas and issues, providing guidance on how to position and pitch UNICEF topics for U.S. readers.
- Serve as focal point for the PR team on select initiatives – including partner and advocacy initiatives – and campaigns, providing strategy, positioning and tactics as needed.
- Proactively pitch around the organization’s humanitarian issues and emergencies, and coordinate internal strategy on humanitarian topics as needed.
- Maintain a constant stream of creative pitching to keep UNICEF and UNICEF USA priorities in the news, tied to news and issue pegs.
- Initiating and executing ideas/tactics to help increase visibility and consumer participation for engagement opportunities through media outreach, UNICEF USA campaigns and events.
- Work with UNICEF Division of Communications and Private Fundraising Partnerships to align on messaging, goals and strategy on relevant issues.
- Alert senior staff to emerging issues being covered in the media that would affect UNICEF or UNICEF USA and advise on strategies and responses.
- Serve as focal point for UNICEF USA Fellows, supporting joint goals and projects.
- Develop and lead media best practices and training sessions with fellows and Unite teams, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years related communications/public relations experience
- Familiarity with the nonprofit sector desirable, advocacy communications/Congressional experience a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be a team player with strong attention to detail
- Expertise in Microsoft Outlook- 2010, Word and Excel, with the ability to learn new applications quickly
- Ability to work under deadline with flexibility, tact, good judgment, discretion, and take initiative
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes some evening commitments
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally for UNICEF USA events and initiatives
- Must demonstrate UNICEF USA Core Values: Trust, Respect, Accountability, Innovation, Teamwork, and Service
Must possess current and valid US Work Authorization and be eligible to work for any US employer without sponsorship.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary is commensurate with experience. In addition, UNICEF USA offers a comprehensive benefits package.
UNICEF USA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required