Details: The salary range for this position will be determined based on experience and skills.
The Opportunity Agenda seeks an Administrative Assistant for its New York office. The Opportunity Agenda is a social justice communication lab that collaborates with social justice leaders to move hearts and minds, driving lasting policy and culture change. We amplify the inspirational voice of opportunity through a combination of communication expertise, creative engagement and research.
The Administrative Assistant reports to senior level staff, including the Vice President and three Program Directors, and handles tasks relating to all aspects of the organization’s Executive administrative functions. The candidate for this role must be a forward thinker who anticipates needs and is focused on ensuring the VP and other Directors have smooth and efficient schedules and workflows. This role requires a candidate who is extremely detail oriented, able to take initiative and work independently, and have the flexibility to multi-task in a high paced and dynamic environment. The work entails dealing professionally with confidential information and requires a high degree of focus. The Administrative Assistant will have excellent communication skills including good writing capacity, computer literacy (including software such as Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Asana and social media platforms) and a commitment to our mission. Specific responsibilities include:
- Manage and maintain the day-to-day schedule for multiple senior staff members, in conjunction with appropriate staff and external participants. Prioritize requests, troubleshoot conflicts independently, and make decisions and recommendations to ensure all issues and requests are handled in a timely and professional manner.
- Make all travel arrangements for the Vice President and other senior staff, along with preparing detailed itineraries and processing expense receipts. Organize trip planning calls with internal and external stakeholders.
Meetings and Convenings:
- Ensure the Vice President is prepared for all meetings and presentations. Provide oversight and organization of meeting materials, tech requirements, equipment, printed materials and food ordering.
- Draft and file meeting notes and agendas, follow up correspondence and minutes, and ensure communication thereof with all relevant parties.
- Determine what materials will best meet the needs of the participants and goals of the convening, gather and analyze information, and prepare documents and presentations accordingly.
- Create, proofread and format documents, presentations and emails including memoranda, briefings, presentations, spreadsheets and e-blasts.
- Manage information flow to and from the Vice President, ensuring follow up with and engagement of appropriate staff.
- Manage Vice President’s email, analyzing and prioritizing for attention, managing issues and communication and staff participation, and ensuring confidentiality.
- Assess current communications systems (email, call tracking, correspondence) software and procedures; and develop, implement and manage improved systems, procedures, templates, tracking, and follow-up.
- Pro-actively determine the goals of any communication and provide appropriate materials as needed (may include memos, agendas, meeting preparation notes and instructions, consultation with other managers and staff).
- Maintain an efficient flow of information between all levels of the program department’s internal and external contacts on a wide spectrum of the organization's plans and priorities (including meeting with staff to discuss issues, ensuring instructions from the Vice President are followed, maintaining good relationships with external contacts).
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- As part of the Administrative Team, providing back up and support to the Executive Coordinator for breaks and/or absences.
- Create and maintain files including binding reports, printing, copying and storing of key documents within SharePoint.
- Submit invoices and credit card statements ensuring forms are accurate and complete, and timely submission is made to Operations.
- Data entry into various systems including Raisers Edge, Asana and other platforms.
- Occasional domestic travel will be necessary
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 3 years job-related experience preferred.
- Working with logistical and writing elements, editing, tracking, filing and maintaining data records is desired.
- Nonprofit experience a plus.
- Commitment to social justice values, the mission and goals of The Opportunity Agenda.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Expertise with scheduling and maintaining calendars.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Proficiency in Outlook and Microsoft Office suite, including Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated administrative, clerical, data entry and office support skills.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to handle multiple priorities and tasks.
- Detail oriented quick learner, friendly and optimistic with an ability to prioritize and handle shifting deadlines.
- Ability to communicate to all employees at all levels with tact and diplomacy and maintain confidentiality is essential.
Location: New York, NY
The incumbent will have daily interaction with following internal departments: Development, Communications, and Operations. They will also have frequent interaction with other colleagues, Funders and Partners
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Sit up to 8 hours a day at computer. Able to travel by airplane.
Open space office. Open space office will be noisy at time due to phone conversations and open space layout. Some work may be completed off-site.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY AGENDA:
The Opportunity Agenda is a social justice communication lab. We believe in the power of communication and collaboration to drive lasting change. We collaborate with social justice leaders to help tell more compelling stories that drive lasting culture and policy change. Through a combination of communication expertise, creative engagement, and research, we amplify the inspirational voice of opportunity. Based in New York City, The Opportunity Agenda is a non-profit organization dedicated to the idea that our nation can and should be a place where everyone enjoys full opportunity. To learn more about The Opportunity Agenda, go to our website www.opportunityagenda.org.
The Opportunity Agenda, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application."
Health, dental and vision insurance are provided as well as life insurance, short-term and long term disability, flexible spending, and 403(b) retirement accounts. Generous vacation package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include the job title “Administrative Assistant” in the subject line. No phone calls please.