Full Time Contract
We're training a team of transformational principals to lead the schools Philadelphia students deserve.
Philadelphia Pathway to Leadership in Urban Schools (PhillyPLUS) is a two-year, practice-based principal certification program. It prepares accomplished educators to become dynamic school leaders who can transform teaching and learning in Philadelphia schools. After an intensive summer training, residents spend a year in a local school learning to support a team of teachers under the guidance of a mentor principal and an experienced leadership coach. Residents who demonstrate an ability to make a real difference for students earn their principal certification and go on to lead their own schools, with ongoing support during their second year and beyond. Created by the Philadelphia Great Schools Compact, the Philadelphia Schools Partnership and TNTP, PhillyPLUS has prepared leaders for more than 70 Philadelphia schools. You can learn more by visiting our website:
Responsibilities and Duties
What We Offer
- Accelerated path to certification: Residents who demonstrate an ability to help students succeed will earn their principal certification at the end of their first year in the program.
- Real leadership experience: Participants build expertise by working in a Philadelphia school, where you’ll help teachers improve their practice with the support of a mentor principal.
- Meaningful professional development: Professional development opportunities focus on core skills that will prepare you for the day-to-day challenges of school leadership and include key areas like systematizing a vision, leading authentically, and managing talent strategically.
- Personalized, expert coaching: An experienced leadership coach—with a proven record as a school leader—will help you hone your leadership skills, providing bi-weekly feedback and support to help you succeed.
- A community of leaders: In our summer institute and monthly development sessions, you’ll learn and practice foundational leadership skills with more than 20 fellow residents who will challenge you to grow and support you along the way.
- Ongoing support: In your first year after program completion, you’ll continue working with your leadership coach, meet regularly with your cohort of peers, and participate in quarterly professional development events. PhillyPLUS staff will continue to support you as needed and you’ll have the opportunity to mentor incoming PhillyPLUS residents.
- A minimum of 3 years teaching experience or "professional experience in an educational setting that is related to the instructional process" per the certification guidelines of the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- A valid teaching certification
- A Bachelor's degree
- A commitment to learning and growing as an instructional leader
- A commitment to serving the communities of Philadelphia
- Experience leading other adults
- Exemplary communication skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks based on school performance goals
- Proven track record of success as a teacher
- Ability to work with students and staff and to motivate and engage them in a positive way
Minimum Education Required