About the Position:
The Head of Student Support Services will work to keep the academic and personal success of our students as a core focus. The Head of Student Support Services evolves and drives a comprehensive school-wide approach to learning that supports meeting the diverse instructional needs of all students.
This individual will be responsible for addressing and reducing the barriers to academic success through direct mandated and at-risk academic interventions with students, educating and supporting families and facilitating the growth of staff.
Prospect Schools is a K-12 college preparatory community where excellent teachers prepare a diverse student body to have a positive impact on society and a lifelong passion for learning. Find more about who we are and what we believe by checking out our Prospector Principles.
Our Core Values are:
- Curiosity: Develop sound judgment and intellect by asking questions confidently and thinking critically
- Care: Support others by grounding every action in empathy while championing equity and inclusion in our work
- Persistence: Grow and learn by solving problems with determination, creativity and tenacity
- Passion: Succeed by approaching challenges with excitement, enthusiasm and self assurance
Under the general direction of the Principal, the Head of Student Support Services will be responsible for the following:
Special Education Program Organization
- Oversee the development, implementation, and monitoring of a comprehensive Special Education program.
- Develop a program plan for the adaptation of curriculum material and instructional methods (including differentiation) for students with special needs and those at-risk
- Gather and analyze evidence about the quality of the school program with respect to the mission criteria and the expected schoolwide learning results
- Develop staff members’ knowledge, skills, attitudes, and behaviors through a variety of professional development targeted topics and designs, based on an evaluation of student needs and assessment data
- Observe lessons and provide feedback for a teacher’s professional growth aligned to a coaching cycle identifies teacher inputs and clearly defines student success outcomes using data-analysis/data informed instruction.
- Support teachers and administrators in using data to improve instruction on all levels, through analysis of assessments, reteach cycles, and other formative measures
- Coordinates with DOE providers to ensure that high quality related service providers are retained and scheduled to meet student needs
- Develop accountability for special education faculty in regards to knowing and tracking student progress toward IEP goals.
- Develops systems to communicate the essential content of IEPs to the teaching faculty and to communicate updates throughout the year
- Creating a schedule and handling all communications and logistics for annual reviews, triennial reviews, initial evaluations and requested reevaluations
- Management of 504 plans in coordination with families and overseeing approvals and accommodations
Supporting Staff and Families
- Oversee process for new materials and equipment in order to provide instructional support to teachers in their attempts to meet curricular outcomes written in IEPs.
- Assess the need for instructional resources based on teacher input and student performance.
Education and Training
- Very strong organizational skills
- Very strong attention to detail
- Experience with SSS literacy programs
- Able to communicate and collaborate with teachers and school administration
- Minimum of Master's degree
- Responsible for maintaining NYS teaching certification