Researcher & Writer, Community-Scaled Economy Initiative
Details: Competitive and commensurate with experience.
2720 East 22nd Street
The Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) is looking for a Research Associate to join our excellent non-profit team. The position is responsible for research, reporting, writing, and other tasks as part of ILSR’s Community-Scaled Economy Initiative, which challenges concentrated corporate power and advocates for policies to rebuild the economic power and capacity of local communities.
This position can be based in any of our three offices, but we’d love to have it be in our Portland, Maine, office.
Job responsibilities include:
- Researching and reporting on a broad range of topics and policy issues that are relevant to the Initiative’s goals.
- Writing compelling articles, reports, and other pieces.
- Providing communications support for the Initiative, including managing a newsletter and helping to prepare media releases and pitches.
- Monitoring news and legislative developments on key issues.
- Supporting the Initiative’s outreach and engagement with allied organizations, policymakers, and grassroots groups.
Our ideal candidate is:
- An excellent writer and communicator with the ability to convey complex ideas in a clear and compelling way.
- A strong researcher who can identify the pivotal questions, track down the right sources, and develop an insightful analysis.
- Passionate about ILSR’s mission of countering corporate monopolies and building community power.
- Ready to sharpen existing skills and learn new ones, which might include, over time, doing media interviews, public speaking, helping with our podcast, and more.
- A skilled time manager with the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Previous experience in policy research, journalism, or related field.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills at previous employer.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Working knowledge of public policy processes.
Applications are welcome from a broad range of applicants. ILSR is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability. ILSR is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are made without regard to age, race, color, religion or belief, gender identification, family or parental status.
This position is full-time, based in our Portland, Me.; Minneapolis, Minn.; or Washington, D.C. offices. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Position includes 100% employer-paid health plan, generous vacation and holiday leave, and retirement contribution matching. We are a dynamic and friendly team dedicated to making the world a better place. ILSR takes professional growth seriously.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, résumé, three professional references, and two writing samples reflecting your original work to email@example.com.
The cover letter should be no longer than 400 words and the writing samples no longer than 1,000 words each — though feel free to send excerpts of longer pieces.
The subject line should say “Application for Research Associate.”
Please submit your application by June 22, 2018.