NAMI-NYC helps individuals and families affected by mental illness build better lives through education, support, and advocacy. As one of the largest affiliates of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, we work collaboratively with other stakeholders in the community to educate the public, advocate for legislation, reduce stigma and improve the mental health system. See www.naminyc.org for details.
The Manager of Events supports the Director of Events in creating and producing NAMI-NYC’s signature events -- NAMI-NYC’s peer-to-peer fundraising event, NAMIWalks NYC, held annually in May, and the Seeds of Hope Gala, held annually in October. The Manager of Events will also assist in the strategic growth and development of other special events and projects, including donor recognition and cultivation events, NAMI-NYC’s Young Professionals Advisory Board fundraisers/friendraisers, NYRR Half and Full Marathon events, third party events, and more. Events are currently held virtually, though we are planning and preparing to return to hybrid/in-person events.
The ideal candidate has several years of experience in event planning and execution, has a track record of growing event revenue and engagement, is incredibly well organized, self-motivated, and able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
This is a full-time position, based in NAMI-NYC’s Midtown Manhattan office. This role is currently remote and will move to a hybrid mix between working in the office and from home. Candidates must live in the New York City area.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Assist with planning and execution of all fundraising events and special projects. Events include but are not limited to: NAMIWalks NYC, The Seeds of Hope Gala, Young Professionals Advisory Board events, third party fundraisers, and other fundraising event opportunities.
- Support sponsorship opportunities and serve as point of contact for event sponsors for brand collateral.
- Lead in-kind donation outreach, including items for auction, brand sampling, gift bags.
- Work with the Director of Events and Director of Marketing & Communications to develop creative digital and printed materials for all events.
- Working with the Marketing & Communications team, execute social media outreach around events.
- Coordinate invitation lists and event mailings
- Buildout content, update and maintain web, third party, and peer-to-peer fundraising sites.
- Work closely with event chairs, volunteers, Team Captains, advocates, and all fundraisers and Walk teams to enhance fundraising efforts.
- Lead fundraising messaging and year round outreach to walkers; write NAMIWalks fundraising communications to team captains, walkers, volunteers, and sponsors.
- Lead Walk Star program for top performing fundraisers, including thank you events.
- Work with the Development team to ensure accurate event gift and event attendance recording, data entry of third party platform gifts.
- Provide routine fundraising reports to Executive Director, Events, Communication, and Development key staff.
- Oversee event volunteer outreach, scheduling, and assignments.
- Communicate with high-level donors, Board members, and other “VIPs” with a high degree of sensitivity, professionalism, and maturity.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with staff, volunteers, and participants at all levels.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 3+ years of non-profit event experience
- Established track record of peer-to-peer fundraising program success
- Strong relationship management skills and donor development skills
- Strong time management skills and willingness to work in a collaborative, team-based environment
- Ability and willingness to collaborate cross-departmentally with colleagues; comfortable working independently when needed
- Comfortable and articulate speaking in public and giving presentations. Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experienced in event social media campaigns, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok
- Basic graphic design skills: Canva, Adobe Creative Suite
- Working knowledge of Bloomerang database (or other CRM platform)
- Familiarity with email campaign platforms (e.g. Constant Contact, Mailchimp)
- Familiarity with event-planning software (e.g. Givergy, Social Tables, Zkipster, All Seated)
- Familiarity with virtual event software and platforms (e.g. Zoom, Restream, Twitch, Streamyard, or similar virtual event platform)
- Ability to work evening/late-night and weekend events as needed
- Sense of humor
- The successful candidate must be able to work well with all levels of employees, be flexible in nature, have sound judgment with an open and collaborative style that encourages teamwork and cooperation beyond the immediate team to the broader organization.