The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is seeking a candidate with a military background or extensive familiarity with the military/veteran community for the position of Veterans Outreach Manager. The Veterans Outreach Manager will help manage USGLC’s Veterans for Smart Power Program; a nationwide network of military veterans who advocate for America’s civilian led tools of international development and diplomacy. Prior service in the U.S. Armed Forces and 3-5 years of experience in a political issue advocacy is strongly preferred. The position will report to the Director of Veterans Outreach.
At USGLC, we are committed to a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion among staff, volunteers, partners, and programs.
- Recruiting, educating, and engaging veterans throughout the country. Under the supervision of the Veterans Outreach Director, the Manager will be responsible for building a nationwide network of veterans to advance the USGLC’s public policy agenda by organizing an active network of 50-100 veterans in 30+ priority states. The Manager will work with regional teams to identify, recruit, and educate these veterans through events and personal outreach and work with our Communications team to keep them up to date on the issues throughout the year.
- Build and engage Veteran’s Leadership Council. The Manager will work to grow the USGLC’s national Veteran’s Leadership Council, a group of twenty to thirty veteran activists from each of our priority states that work with the USGLC to implement our Outreach activities. In addition, the Council includes approximately 30-40 veterans living in the D.C. area that are able and willing to participate in USGLC Washington based activities.
- Expanding the grassroots online community. The Veteran Outreach Manager will create and identify opportunities to expand our online network of 30,000 veterans across the country, including creating a dynamic communications platform.
- Mobilizing veteran community. The Manager will work inter-departmentally to mobilize the veteran community to educate policymakers and the public about the importance of development and diplomacy to American national security. This could include, participating in in-district meetings, and speaking at events. Organize in-district meetings with elected officials for engagement of USGLC state leaders and policymakers.
- Manage effective communications. This position will require writing and public speaking. Under the direction of the Veterans Outreach Director, the Manager will work with the Communications team to implement a communications strategy to educate and engage the USGLC veteran community. This will include developing messages and populating the Veterans for Smart Power website, ongoing conference calls/e-letters to elite veterans, and education events. The Manager will regularly speak in front of diverse audiences on behalf of the Veterans for Smart Power program and other USGLC initiatives.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
- Three to five years of experience in a political campaign and/or issue-advocacy setting OR Digital/Online Marketing.
- Demonstrated ability to organize high-level individuals in advocacy efforts.
- Demonstrated abilities in planning meetings and large events, writing, organizing, and training skills.
- Ability to proactively engage prominent leaders in the political, business, faith-based, military, academic, and civic communities.
- Outstanding public speaking skills and ability to create and deliver presentations before high-profile audiences.
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced, fluid and flexible team environment.
- Ability and desire to travel domestically on a frequent basis.
- USGLC is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, disability, military status, age, marital status, or parental status. People of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, and military veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Competitive salary will be offered, commensurate with experience and qualifications. The USGLC also provides a package of benefits, including health and disability insurance, retirement plan, paid annual and sick leave and federal holidays.
About the USGLC:
The U.S. Global Leadership Coalition (USGLC) is a broad-based influential network of 500 businesses and NGOs; national security and foreign policy experts; and business, faith-based, academic and community leaders in all 50 states who support a civilian-led approach of elevating diplomacy and development alongside defense in order to build a better, safer world.