1436 U Street, NW
For 22 years, Center for Inspired Teaching has been engaging teachers as partners in education reform through our groundbreaking, improvisational theater-based approach to teacher training. Inspired Teaching envisions a future in which every person is prepared to thrive in and contribute to our complex and rapidly changing world, through an education that teaches students how to think. We transform the preK-12 school system by cultivating changemaking educators who authentically engage their students as active learners and empathetic critical thinkers. We invest in preK-12 teachers at all stages of their careers through programs that prepare new teachers, strengthen the practice of in-service teachers, and amplify teachers’ work as changemakers.
Center for Inspired Teaching is seeking a creative, entrepreneurial, and experienced Operations Manager to oversee day-to-day office functions and long-term organization-wide projects, contribute input in areas related to personnel and office policies, as well as provide company-wide support. . This is an exceptional opportunity for a motivated individual who seeks to develop his/her management skills while working in a progressive education nonprofit improving the lives of children. This position will be reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations.
- Lead the bookkeeping function including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, monthly allocations, and other budgetary tasks as needed.
- AmeriCorps monthly financial reporting.
- Assist in preparation and support of the annual audit and 990.
- Process annual W-2’s and 1099’s.
- Process and reconcile invoices and expenses, credit card, and staff reimbursement reports.
- Managing day-to-day office functions and general office administration, including coordinating phone support, ordering office supplies, maintaining office equipment, overseeing bulk mailings, managing the office calendar, coordinating logistics and contract negotiations for organizational events, and maintaining the general office environment.
- Managing relationships with legal counsel, consultants, external vendors, landlord, and government agencies relevant to a non-profit organization to ensure standard procedures and administrative and legal requirements are met.
- Manage all information technology functions, including support vendors, equipment inventory, and service providers.
- Assessing IT infrastructure, serving as the point-person for staff and with IT consultants, and refining as needed.
- Maintain employee benefits programs and informs employees of benefits by studying and assessing benefit needs and trends; recommending benefit programs to management; directing the processing of benefit claims; obtaining and evaluating benefit contract bids; awarding benefit contracts; designing and conducting educational programs on benefit programs.
- Managing employee leave benefits and time sheets.
- Ensure legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource federal and state requirements; conducting investigations; maintaining records; representing the organization at hearings.
- Maintain historical human resource records by designing a filing and retrieval system; keeping past and current records.
- Coordinating new hire orientation.
- Database maintenance and work with program staff to ensure its best use.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel and proficiency in QuickBooks accounting software.
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism and integrity in dealing with confidential issues; ability to work independently, and execute sound reasoning and judgment.
- Bachelor's degree (BA, BS, etc.).
- More than two years of experience in office management and administration, including Human Resources.
- Ability to manage a variety of projects and schedules.
- Ability to coordinate office functions and make operations decisions independently.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work with and relate to a wide variety of clientele.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, organizational management skills, and problem-solving skills.
- Strong understanding of and belief in Inspired Teaching’s progressive philosophy of education and inquiry-based teacher training methodology.
- Knowledge of standard applications, (i.e. MS Office, Google drive, file storage apps) and database experience.
You want to talk to us if:
- You are motivated by disrupting the norm;
- You flourish in an environment characterized by hard work, play, and laughter;
- Your entrepreneurial, risk-taking spirit drives you to lead change;
- You are committed to the belief that every child, regardless of race, geography, or income level, can thrive in an engagement-based classroom with a teacher who embraces Inspired Teaching’s instructional model;
- You believe that teachers are the leverage point for change in education, and you are excited to support teachers, and to help them grow and thrive.
Center for Inspired Teaching is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to a diverse workplace. Persons of color and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with professional experience. Benefits include health care, retirement plan, paid time off; an excellent working environment; and the ability to have an impact on public education and the lives of children in Washington, DC and nationwide.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter that clearly outlines professional experience, position qualifications, and salary requirements; resume; and names and contact information of 3 professional references to: email@example.com.