1111 14th Street, NW
Open Date: August 29, 2017
Closing date: Open until filled.
DC Appleseed is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to solving public policy problems facing the National Capital region and improving life for residents. Since 1994, DC Appleseed has worked with broad coalitions of community leaders, government officials, attorneys, expert consultants and others, to analyze and develop practical solutions to complex, multi-faceted problems facing our community. Our mission to improve the lives of all who live and work in the DC often means focusing on marginalized communities and addressing racial, economic, educational and social inequities.
Applicants are encouraged to visit www.dcappleseed.org to learn more about DC Appleseed.
Small, dynamic, non-profit, public interest research and advocacy organization (with FT staff of five) needs a Full-Time Development Associate/Office Manager. This position is perfect for someone with a range of interests and experience, including strong computer and writing skills, and a jack-of-all-trades attitude. High standards but informal environment.
Job responsibilities include:
Development (50% of time)
- Drafting and copyediting grant applications and reports;
- Updating and maintaining the contacts and donations database for the Development Program;
- Assisting with annual fundraising event, as needed;
- Assisting with the production of solicitation letters, thank you letters and mailing lists;
- Creating project budgets and other supporting documents to submit with grant applications and reports;
- Researching grant opportunities.
Communications Support (10% of time)
- Maintaining organizational website;
- Managing mass email and digital media outreach to membership and public;
- Assisting with the creation of event publications and media display.
Human Resources (10% of time)
- Providing benefits administration for office employees, including notices of benefits, timekeeping, payroll and other personnel duties.
- Supporting the office’s onboarding of new employees, and any off-boarding.
- Coordinating with insurance broker to update benefits on an annual basis;
- Working collaboratively with all staff, board members, vendors, and the general public.
Other Administrative Tasks (30% of time)
- Providing support for the 35-member Board including: responding to board member and staff inquiries on board administrative matters; compiling and sending board meeting materials in advance of board meetings; coordinating with meeting host to ensure IT and other needs are anticipated; taking minutes at the Board meetings;
- Troubleshooting Excel spreadsheet formulas to ensure that timesheets, leave tracking, grant budgets, and similar documents are functioning as intended.
- Gathering bids for larger vendor projects (such as copier lease, new IT vendor, etc.)
- Providing administrative support for staff and project teams, such as scheduling meetings, producing letters, and managing document deliveries.
- Coordinating non-financial contributions when needed (e.g., furnishings, computers, etc.)
- Light IT troubleshooting // Providing Tier 1 IT support, including general computer troubleshooting, user support/troubleshooting, purchase of software and hardware, license maintenance and overseeing/liaising with computer contractor.
- Liaising with building operations to maintain the office environment;
- Basic reception: answer and direct phone calls, receive packages, greet visitors.
- Other duties as requested.
- Interest in DC communities and the mission of DC Appleseed;
- Experience with non-profit resource development, including grant writing and reporting, special events, and annual fund solicitations;
- Experience with Quickbooks Online and Microsoft Office;
- Experience with administrative support operations, including human resources;
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills;
- Well-organized and detail-oriented, with ability to prioritize and adapt to different work styles;
- Ability to follow policy as well as identify and correct inefficiencies.
- Team player with a willingness to collaborate and ability to take the lead when opportunities present;
- Strong ethical compass;
- Experience with WordPress, Constant Contact, and other digital media and outreach tools.
Minimum Education Required