Founded in 2007, National Center for Teacher Residencies (NCTR) is a national nonprofit organization headquartered in Chicago with team members working virtually throughout the country. NCTR’s mission is to grow and manage a national network of teacher residencies dedicated to accelerating student achievement through the training, support, and retention of excellent teachers. NCTR is accelerating its own growth as it helps to build, support, and scale even greater numbers of high-performing teacher residencies.
NCTR is transforming teacher preparation nationwide to ensure all children have access to an effective teacher. Our core values reflect who we are as an organization and how we work with our clients and our community.
- Continuous Learning
- Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
The Director of Development (“Director”) will report to and work directly with NCTR’s CEO to meet or exceed the organization’s revenue goals by securing funding from a variety of sources, including foundations, government, and fee for service sources. The Director will research the market of interest-aligned funders, cultivate relationships with them and represent NCTR externally to strengthen the organization’s profile in the funder and non-profit sectors. In addition, he/she will lead the management process of grants and work with the CEO to cultivate NCTR’s new business development initiatives.
- Lead and direct the development of a comprehensive and sustainable multi-year revenue plan, including short- and long-term goals;
- Build and manage relationships with prospects through regular, targeted communication
- Prepare revenue forecasts for ensuring budget goals are met on time
- Lead the timely submission process for all grants, requests and opportunities, including assembling application components, grant writing, editing, review and submission of final applications and reports
- Prepare briefings and recommend strategies to CEO for making requests of funders
- Work alongside the CEO to identify and cultivate new relationships with universities, school districts, and state governments to develop high quality residency programs.
- Build strong relationships with, and support the development activities of, NCTR board members
- Ensure accurate and up to date records of all development activities in Salesforce
NCTR has developed a performance management system based on evidence that individuals’ success requires managing self, working together, and driving results. These tenets are centered around our core values and comprise the following competencies:
- FLEXIBILITY - Adapts to change, performs amid uncertainty and works toward solutions despite obstacles
- GROWTH MINDSET - Possesses self-awareness, is eager to do what is necessary to develop talents, and is not afraid to ask clarifying questions
- COMMUNICATION - Communicates effectively, efficiently and respectfully in all modes
- CULTURAL COMPETENCE - Contributes to healthy and productive interactions within and among diverse groups by being self-aware, empathetic, nonjudgmental, patient and open to different perspectives
- PEOPLE DEVELOPMENT - Helps colleagues in all organizational directions to grow and improve by building trust and providing differentiated support and feedback
- STRATEGIC THINKING - Solves problems using analytical and creative thinking, non-anecdotal evidence, and a focus on results
- JUDGMENT - Makes timely, mission-aligned decisions based on evidence-based learning and patterns of experience, involving stakeholders
- EXECUTION - Delivers high quality work and increases team productivity and performance
- Minimum of 5 years in development
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills; ability to produce compelling written materials
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal skills with a wide variety of audiences
- Experience with CRM database preferred
Chicago, IL preferred; will consider other locations for the right candidate
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a benefits package is included.
Minimum Education Required