FishWise is a sustainable seafood consultancy that promotes the health and recovery of ocean ecosystems through environmentally and socially responsible practices. FishWise uses market-based approaches to achieve responsible business practices and create change on the water. This science-based and business-friendly approach has allowed FishWise to build partnerships and strong working relationships with industry, government, and NGOs.
We believe that healthy ocean ecosystems and freshwater habitats are vital to maintain biological diversity and are the building blocks of a long term and sustainable seafood industry. By combining credible science and NGO expertise, the innovation of seafood businesses, and the power of informed consumers, FishWise believes that we can chart a new course for the seafood industry. Our belief is that everyone in the supply chain has an important role to play, from the coastal communities and companies that farm and catch fish, to the specialty retailers and distributors that differentiate themselves through sustainable business practices, to the largest companies that possess the leverage to drive innovation and conservation in their supply chains. All of us must work together to enact the change necessary to protect our ocean resources long into the future.
Under the direction of the Project Director, the Senior Project Manager is responsible for managing the operations, maintenance, and improvement of the organization’s database systems. The Senior Project Manager assists Directors in managing projects and outside contractors, improving team performance, and achieving strategic objectives. The Senior Project Manager also manages daily data operations and facilitates the acquisition, analysis and utilization of data from multiple partnerships to support FishWise's sustainable seafood objectives while ensuring that the highest quality information is used in project reporting and planning.
Reporting: This position reports to the Project Director.
- Responsible for daily operations and maintenance of the database systems.
- Manage large-scale data collection efforts to track sustainability progress for all business partnerships.
- Assist with the implementation of systems upgrade and the documentation of the changes.
- Develop and perform improvements to data systems & protocols accounting for user feedback and business needs.
- Manage data input and output to assist with data collections, analyses, and reporting.
- Coordinate internally among FishWise staff to ensure timely deliverables.
- Streamline and improve existing Filemaker Pro databases.
- Assist in creation of new Filemaker Pro databases and internal data tools.
- Provide guidance for assistants, interns, and contractors, including direction and feedback regarding their performance.
- Assist with QA/QC of incoming data and information.
- Create simple user manuals for selected data tasks.
- Perform limited IT duties.
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in related field, with 3+ years in database systems
- Ability to inspire and lead cross-functional teams in achieving strategic objectives
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to meet deadlines and to manage multiple simultaneous projects
- A strong understanding of data implementation and technology tools for seafood sustainability with the ability to effectively communicate the practical applications to clients
- Experience breaking down complex topics and documents into materials that can be easily understood by target audiences
- Excellent professional communication skills; writing, editing, public speaking and presentation
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to work with limited oversight
- Excellent Filemaker Pro database development skills
- Proficient in relational databases or other information structures
- Excellent Mac-computer skills and fluent in Microsoft Excel
- QA/QC experience
- Detail-oriented and meticulous about data and information
- Strong interest in applying data technology to support ocean conservation and seafood sustainability missions
Hours and Benefits
- This is a full-time position preferably based in the FishWise office in Santa Cruz, CA.
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
- Competitive benefit package.
- Office hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00AM-5:00PM.
- Evening and weekend work will sometimes be required.
- Occasional business travel and personal transportation is required.
Minimum Education Required