The Roderick and Solange MacArthur Justice Center (RSMJC) is accepting applications for a full-time Staff Attorney with its Saint Louis, Missouri office. RSMJC is a public interest law firm that litigates high-impact civil rights and systemic reform cases in courts around the country. For more information about RSMJC and its past work, please visit http://www.macarthurjustice.org/index.html.
Role & Responsibilities:
RSMJC is looking for an attorney with at least three years of experience who is passionate about criminal justice issues to join their Missouri office. The successful candidate will work on cases at the trial level concerning a broad array of issues, including prisoner and detainee rights, police misconduct, constitutional rights of accused persons and parolees, and protecting the rights of protestors. Specific responsibilities include:
- Participate in litigation of matters within RSMJC’s Missouri docket, including researching and drafting pleadings, conducting oral and written discovery, attending hearings and oral arguments, and participating in settlement conferences and trials in both state and federal courts;
- Conduct and oversee client intake and field investigations;
- Travel as required for litigation and client interaction, including to prisons, jails, and other facilities of confinement;
- Regular professional interaction with clients and prospective clients;
- Contribute to development of the case docket, including conducting research and investigation, and developing strategies for pursuing issues relevant to the mission of the organization; and
- A commitment to working collaboratively.
- JD and at least three years’ experience, clerkship experience preferred;
- Admission to the Missouri Bar, or eligibility for admission upon hiring, and admission to the Illinois Bar preferred;
- Energetic self-starter with a passion for criminal justice reform and a desire to effectuate change in the St. Louis region, and Missouri more broadly;
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to follow-through on assignments independently, to manage several projects and deadlines at once, and to be flexible in the event of changing priorities and deadlines;
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills;
- Very close attention to detail and a commitment to completing tasks quickly and thoroughly;
- Ability to work creatively and effectively as part of a cohesive team to develop new legal initiatives;
- Experience using computer systems and databases and willingness to learn internal programs;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage with clients and others in the community;
- Dedication to zealous advocacy and building client-centered relationships;
- Experience using computer systems and databases and willingness to learn internal programs; and
- Meticulous record and time keeping skills.
- Prior experience working on social justice campaigns and/or with justice-system involved adults and juveniles a plus.
The salary is competitive and includes an excellent benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume or CV, and two references by e-mail to email@example.com with “Staff Attorney Application” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until hiring complete, but RSMJC seeks to fill this position as soon as possible.
RSMJC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, age, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, race or ethnicity.