Details: Small monthly stipend
731 Harvard Avenue
A Better Chance-Strath Haven - Resident Director Positions
A Better Chance (ABC) is a national nonprofit whose mission is to increase substantially the number of well-educated students of color who have the potential to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in American society.
Resident Director Positions: The Resident Directors serve as the head of the household, act as a "surrogate parents,” and are responsible for the physical and emotional success of the eight students in the house. Along with the Resident Tutors, the Resident Directors create a "home-away-from-home" atmosphere with a sense of family unity for those living in the house. The Resident Directors are responsible for all aspects of the household and the program. He/she/they are expected to maintain open lines of communication with relevant parties including, but not limited to, board members, scholars' families, and host families.
- Oversee the daily operations and maintenance of the residence
- Ensure scholars abide by all program rules and house policies as stated in the Student Handbook
- Ensure the safety of the scholars in every way, knowing where they are at all times
- Maintain high standards of personal conduct for the scholars, consistently leading by example
- Supervise the daily activities of the scholars and show genuine interest by attending their extracurricular activities and supporting their interests
-Supervise Resident Tutors
- Maintain regular contact with the Board Committee, House Committee, scholars' families, and have periodic contact with host families
- Coordinate with Resident Tutors and House Committee Chairperson to ensure coverage at the house at all times
- Supervise and share responsibility for driving scholars to academic and extracurricular functions as needed
- Participate in family-style dinners Monday-- Thursday evenings
- Assist scholars with planning and carrying out social and cultural activities
- Coordinate with the Cook for meal planning and food shopping;
- Manage the household funds, submitting accurate monthly reports to the Treasurer.
- Maintain program, house, and student records, as needed
- - Attend monthly Board and Committee meetings
- Minimum Qualifications:
- - Bachelor's degree and relevant professional experience
- - Experience working with adolescent youth and possess an understanding of specific issues facing young students of color
- - Maturity, leadership, good judgment, integrity, strong communication and decision-making skills, as well as a collaborative and respectful nature
- - Ability to work a flexible schedule including being in attendance at the house at least 2 weekends per month and Sunday-Thursday afternoons or evenings
- - Ability and intent to serve as Resident Director for at least two full academic years
- - Must have a valid state of PA driver's license and an excellent driving record, both of which must be maintained during entire course of employment.
- -Must pass background checks as required by the state of Pennsylvania.
- Compensation: Resident directors live in a separate 2-bedroom apartment within the main house. A small stipend is paid 10 months a year; room and board are provided during the school year. During the summer months, housing is provided, but not board as long as you are returning for the next year. Additionally, if you have a child who is of K-12 school age, he/she could be eligible to attend school in the Wallingford-Swarthmore School District.
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter that describes your interest in the position and your qualifications for this position. Email email@example.com with “Resident Director” in the subject line.
Free room and board. Days free of responsibility for employment or school.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please include CV or Resume and cover letter detailing your experiences with High School students in a residential setting and the reasons that you are interested in this job.