Details: Compensation is commensurate with experience, please be sure to submit your salary expectations.
409 Camino Del Rio S
ExED (www.exed.net) is a nonprofit organization that fosters the development and management of high performing charter schools. We believe that every child should have access to a high-quality public education, especially children in educationally underserved communities. ExED is the only nonprofit service provider in Southern California and operates offices in Los Angeles and San Diego. ExED works with more than 100 charter schools serving more than 44,000 students.
ExED provides a range of services that support both new and existing charter schools, including: facility financing services; “CFO” services such as accounting, budgeting, financial reporting, payroll processing, and public funding compliance; and compliance and data management services. These services help our clients operate efficiently, build financial plans to meet short-term and long-term objectives, and secure affordable facilities all of which enable school leaders to spend more time working to improve student achievement at their school.
This Accounting Associate position is based in ExED’s San Diego office — Where team-members work with charter schools to ensure their success. This position offers a detailed-oriented, highly organized professional the opportunity to apply accounting expertise in a unique way—by helping charter schools efficiently allocate and manage their public dollars. The Accounting Associate will work in a collaborative, team-based environment with an Accounting Analyst, Accounting Manager, and Vice President of School Finance, who oversees the operations of the entire team. The Accounting Associate will have three primary responsibilities: accounting & payroll services, financial reporting, and client management.
Accounting & Payroll:
- Perform bank reconciliations, manage deposits, and prepare payroll and year-end journal entries.
- Process payroll for client schools via Paychex or Paycom and manage payroll deductions and retirement system eligibility determination.
- Review and audit general ledger entries for accuracy (and balancing as needed). Prepare year-end journal entries including accruals and depreciation.
- Assist with accounts payable services including reviewing and auditing vendor invoices, preparing check requests, monitoring financial activities, and aligning monthly spending with budgets.
- Prepare all financial reporting to the public chartering agencies of clients.
- Prepare monthly financial statements for client schools.
- Prepare information requested by auditors at year-end. Be able to explain journal entries made.
- Directly interface with charter school clients to address inquiries and provide process guidance.
- Train school site office managers on accounting procedures and internal controls.
- Understand and be able to discuss the financial condition of all client schools served by team.
- Assist in other business services related activities such as insurance renewals, compliance reporting, etc.
- Visit client sites and assist with ad hoc or special projects as needed.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or related field. 2-3 years of experience in the field preferred.
- Knowledge of GAAP, business principles and standard operating practices. Strong accounting background.
- Knowledge of accounting systems required. Knowledge of MIP preferred.
- Computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Team player with a demonstrated ability to initiate and maintain effective and cooperative professional relationships.
- Strong organizational skills; a self-starter who can prioritize and multi-task.
- Strong writing and communication skills. Strong analytical skills.
- Interest in and commitment to public education.
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation is commensurate with experience, please be sure to submit your salary expectations.
- Benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability and a 403(b) retirement package. We also offer a generous vacation, sick, and holiday allocation.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary expectations via our online application system www.exed.net/Job-Opportunities.
ExED is an equal opportunity employer.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability and a 403(b) retirement package. We also offer a generous vacation, sick, and holiday allocation.
Minimum Education Required