Description: The American Dream Charter School serves grades 6-12 in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx, targeting English language learners and immigrant students. The mission of the American Dream School is to develop academic excellence in both Spanish and English, preparing students to excel in college and become leaders in their communities.
Role: The American Dream School is seeking a fully bilingual (Spanish/English) motivated, goal-oriented Dean of Students to help us engage parents in Community School District 7. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of building a school committed to serving English Language Learners and cultivating bilingualism and biliteracy. The Dean of School Culture will operationalize our vision for student success by strategically aligning available resources to meet school-wide needs and advance ADS’s mission in the following key areas: core instructional programs, comprehensive behavioral support services, and expanded learning opportunities. The Academic Dean will ensure that ADS fulfills the promise that we have made to our community - to become bilingual, bicultural and biliterate leaders in our community.
The ideal candidate will be a strong public speaker who is a skilled relationship-builder. The candidate should be able to juggle multiple projects and be a self-starter.
Reports to: Head of School/Principal
• Bilingual Spanish/English;
• Strong organizational skills;
• Maintain confidentiality and meets deadlines, complete assignments with consistent accuracy;
• Tech-savvy; familiarity and experience with Microsoft Office, Gmail, Google docs/drive;
• Effective verbal, writing and listening skills.
○ Provides academic advisement that supports college and career readiness for all students, including programming students to take classes appropriate for them
○ Communicates and meets with the students’ parents/guardians
○ Promotes a sense of urgency in learning
○ Planning and facilitation of community meetings and advisory curriculum
○ Defines and builds a school culture consistent with ADS’s principles and mission
○ Designs and implements programs that recognize and reward students
○ Devizes school-wide rituals, including advisory, community meetings, and celebrations that promote the culture and sustain the school’s values.
○ Shapes and manages the physical environment to underscore the school’s culture and aspirations, which includes but is not limited to daily supervision of school events, oversight of arrival, departure, breakfast and lunch times for students
○ Meets with students referred by teachers and collaborates to create student improvement plans pertaining to behavior or academics
○ Ensure that the student behavior management efforts are restorative and that the implementation of student development programs and initiatives are done with fidelity to the process and at the highest level of quality with full support, buy-in
○ Ensures that consequences are fairly and consistently implemented throughout the school
○ Maintenance of ADS school calendar and coordination of special events
○ Serve as ADS’s liaison for agencies and organizations interested in partnering with ADS, and help to broker new partnerships that align with our ADS’s culture and academic goals
○ Attend and contribute to leadership meetings
○ Develop and coordinate the implementation of ongoing mechanisms to gather input from students, staff, parents, and other key stakeholders to advance student success and learning activities.
○ Designing and delivering professional development to promote teacher growth and enhance program effectiveness in the areas of classroom management, organization, and incorporation of the Teach Like a Champion techniques adopted by ADS.
○ Serve as a resource to teachers on issues of credit accumulation, advisory, school culture, classroom management, discipline, and relationships with students
○ Coaches staff in holding all students to high and consistent behavioral expectations
○ Coordinating writing and implementation of advisory program for high school
○ Observe teachers and provide informal and formal feedback aligning content and pedagogy to philosophy and vision during advisory blocks
○ Serve as a lynchpin in the school’s student engagement and development strategies to ensure that staff are working together to build a positive school climate and culture
○ Support teachers in establishing essential classroom elements
○ Participate in weekly leadership and team meetings to identify and support academic interventions and social-emotional supports for students
○ Develop and manage a schedule of student centered programs and activities that helps to build community, engage students in fun educational activities and experiences that create school traditions and celebrations to edify the school culture and core values as well as support academic success
○ Builds a support network for students that includes development of a student government and student leadership team
○ Organize and serve as trip coordinator for all college trips
○ Oversight of extracurricular college ready programs
○ Supervise planning and implementation of field lessons
○ Maintenance of community partnerships
○ Participate in the school culture team and provide input to help develop and implement targeted support for staff, students and families
○ Stay abreast of current trends and issues around restorative justice and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
○ Stay abreast of statewide expectations for remote, hybrid, and in-person requirements as per SED
○ Work closely with the Campus Director to determine school-wide professional development needs in order to meet all school related goals.
○ Assist Campus Director in the development of the annual schoolwide professional development plan and lead in weekly staff PD meetings, as needed.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Description: The American Dream Charter School serves grades 6-12 in the Mott Haven section of the Bronx, targeting English language learners and immigrant students. The mission of the American Dream School is to develop academic…
medical, vision, dental, 403b
medical, vision, dental, 403b