126 10th Street
Overview of Position
Rebuilding Together NYC (RT NYC) is a nonproﬁt organization that transforms the lives of low-income New Yorkers by improving the safety and health of their homes and revitalizing our communities. We provide free critical home repairs, accessibility modiﬁcations, workforce training and development and community center renovations for low-income persons and nonproﬁt facilities throughout New York City. For more information, please visit www.rebuildingtogethernyc.org.
Under the supervision of the Director of Construction, the Construction Manager supports the Director of Construction in the day to day operations of the Construction Department and serves as the primary liaison between the construction department and RT NYC’s Workforce Training Program (WTP) during the 3 weeks that each WTP class spends gaining hands-on experience in the field. The Construction Manager is responsible for coordinating field training schedules with WTP staff and leading/training workforce training participants on project sites, ensuring that all safety procedures are followed.
The Construction Manager assists the Director of Construction as needed; duties may include but are not limited to, conducting initial home assessments, creating scopes of work, managing warehouse inventory, purchasing and ensuring that project sites are property staged with materials and equipment in advance of work days, training staff, volunteers and WTP participants, leading volunteers, staff and WTP students in hands-on repair work, ensuring safety procedures are followed on all job sites and monitoring contracted work. This position is primarily in the field, and communication by mobile phone is required. Candidates must be willing to work in adverse weather conditions, physically load and unload vehicles at our warehouse and at job sites, and maintain the timely completion of projects.
● Coordinate ﬁeld training activities for the Workforce Training Program (WTP); work closely with WTP staff to coordinate field placement sites, transportation and timing.
● Train, mentor and lead workforce training participants and/or volunteers on project sites: provide construction guidance to WTP participants on project sites and lead participants on speciﬁc scope of work items.
● Ensure that project sites are properly staged with materials and equipment in advance of work days.
● Ensure a safe and clean work site at all times.
● Monitor the distribution and inventory of tools, equipment, and materials. Ensure all tools and equipment are returned to the warehouse at the completion of projects and unused materials are returned and refunded.
● Ensure that construction timelines are kept and deadlines met.
● Manage warehouse inventory and purchasing.
● Procure construction tools and materials as needed and in accordance with designated budgets.
● Conduct home assessments and draft scopes of work as directed.
● Perform related duties as assigned by the Director of Construction.
● Commitment to the economic stability of low-income New Yorkers and increased access to good jobs in the construction industry.
● Minimum 8 years in the construction trades with at least 1 year in a supervisory role.
● Journey level skills in carpentry, drywall, insulation, ﬂooring installation.
● Good working knowledge of basic plumbing, HVAC, and electrical systems.
● Ability to lift 60 pounds on a regular basis.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
● Ability to communicate with diverse groups of individuals including government funders, trades groups, staﬀ, and program participants.
● Comfortable speaking publicly, leading groups on project sites, and working in a team environment.
● Excellent interpersonal skills, positive service ethic, motivated team member, and task-oriented leader.
● Must be able to represent Rebuilding Together NYC in a professional manner.
● Travel is required within the ﬁve boroughs of New York City using the organization’s vehicle; must have a valid driver’s license.
● Knowledge of Microsoft Oﬃce and Salesforce a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Rebuilding Together NYC is an equal opportunity/aﬃrmative action employer. We value a diverse workforce. All qualiﬁed applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established by federal, state, or local law.
Persons of low and moderate income are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter with salary requirement with “Construction Manager” in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants are encouraged to apply early but no later than November 18, 2018. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.