VISTA Operations Coordinator (2018-19)
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org .
The High Level
The VISTA Operations Coordinator is a key player in achieving Reading Partners’ ambitious strategic vision and goals. This is an exciting opportunity to build capacity within the Reading Partners’ national operations department, allowing the organization to better support operational health, implement national initiatives, and serve more students across the nation. Reading Partners VISTA offers an amazing chance to give back through capacity-building roles – as a VISTA, you’ll receive benefits, a great place to serve, and the opportunity to springboard a glowing and growing career. Our top VISTA Operations Coordinators are ambassadors for service, demonstrate a passion for relationship and systems development, and strongly believe in our vision and values.
What you’ll do and how you’ll do it:
Systems and Resources Development
Diagnose, design, and implement scalable systems for knowledge management and best practices.
- Streamlining and improving available systems is a huge responsibility for the VISTA National Operations Coordinator. By becoming familiar with existing tracking systems and reporting options, the VISTA Operations Coordinator will identify opportunities for improvement, implement best practices and document metrics for future activities. Additionally, the VISTA National Operations Coordinator will lead support on the organizational intranet, including the creation, maintenance, and updating of departmental content.
Organizational Capacity Support
Identify and create project plans to support internal communications, employee onboarding, and other performance dashboards.
- As a part of the operations team, the VISTA Operations Coordinator will lead on identifying, reviewing, and streamlining a variety of organizational initiatives, including internal communications and employee onboarding. The VISTA Operations Coordinator leads on all aspects of the Library, Reading Partners’ internal intranet - this includes creating and updating content for org-wide dissemination, as well as determining how best to share information through development and maintenance of weekly newsletters. Within employee onboarding, the VISTA Operations Coordinator will diagnose gaps in the current onboarding process, identify and propose changes to the process, and develop/update materials as needed through the program year.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Are dedicated to national and community service
- Have a strong desire to fight poverty
- Demonstrate a passion for literacy initiatives
- Are flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced environment
- Take initiative in meeting goals and seeking professional growth
- Can problem-solve through challenges and failures
- Pay strong attention to detail & manage multiple priorities
- Can quickly learn new technology systems and have a high level of comfort with MS Office, Google Apps
- Boast a deep belief in our mission & root your work in our core values
- Possess a bachelor’s degree
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alum/alumna
What we offer:
- VISTA members earn an annual compensation of $24,053.12 if serving in Oakland, CA OR $20,584 if serving in New York City. The VISTA program will authorize relocation allowance if a VISTA member moves more than 50 miles. Health insurance, including dental and vision coverage, is provided at no cost for our members; childcare assistance is available through VISTA for those who qualify. You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans. VISTA members can earn an education award of $5,920 after successfully completing their service term. VISTA members receive ten sick days and ten vacation days per year.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
The other things you need to know:
- Service Terms : VISTA members serve full-time for a 12-month, 365-day term. This VISTA member would serve from November, 2018 to November, 2019.
- Travel : VISTA members may need to travel between Reading Partners sites and offices; reliable transportation is recommended.
- Reading Partners AmeriCorps Orientation: During the first five weeks of service, Reading Partners VISTA members attend a virtual pre-service orientation, introducing AmeriCorps VISTA and Reading Partners. Your direct supervisor will provide role-specific training.
- Where we serve : Reading Partners AmeriCorps members serve in a variety of regions, including California, Washington, Texas, Oklahoma, North Carolina, South Carolina, Minnesota, Maryland, Washington DC, and New York. This position can serve in either New York, NY or in Oakland, CA.
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners VISTA team, please submit the following application materials to our online posting:
- Responses to essay questions
We look forward to hearing from you!
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity organization, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested in joining the VISTA team with our small but mighty Operations Team? We'd love to hear from you!
Check out our ONLINE POSTING to apply or reach out to email@example.com with any questions!